Registration of imported/watched directories failing
  • Hi Everyone,
    I've posted a lost of discussions recently regarding the media-monitor being intermittent. I'm really keeping my eye on how things are working through logs and such, and I think I have begun see this in a different light. Please let me know if you are experiencing this issue:

When a DJ uploads a file, if that DJ hasn't previously uploaded a file with that artist (presuming that the metadata is filled in correctly) the folder that is created to hold the uploaded content is not registered with the 'watcher/syncer' service (not sure what it's called - perhaps watchersyncer.py from reading the log). For whatever reason, because this doesn't seem to happen, the uploaded content is not entered into the DB, and subsequently the file does not show up in the library.

I think that the reason this seems to present like an intermittent problem is that if I was to upload a file for which I already have a folder created in my 'DJ' directory (for me, it's /srv/airtime/stor/imported/2) then the file appears in the library without issue. This is presumably because the folder into which it is copied on import is already being watched by the media-monitor service.

If I restart the media-monitor, the uploaded files appear in the library, and presumably any further content added with the same filing scheme (artist/album) will have no problems, because the act of restarting the media-monitor somehow registers that folder into the watcher service.

Am I making sense here? Does any of this seem familiar to any of you? I'm sure this is something easy to fix, otherwise you all would be complaining about this for a long time, this is a crippling bug for our operations. So I'm guessing that we are missing some upgrade to a necessary service, or are running an out of date version of a service, or something like that.

Is it perhaps because our library is too large? (over 15000 entries) I wouldn't think so, but you never know....

Is it that there is a permission on a service, or folder somewhere that is not set correctly? Easy to fix, but hard to diagnose....

Anyhow, it seems to me that something is forcing whatever service registers new folders with the media-monitor to quit prematurely, or not work properly, forcing us to restart the media monitor every time we want to import files into the library. This is a pain!

I'd be very interested in hearing from ANYONE who has experienced this problem, and if you have, how (or if) have you fixed it?

We are running a server version of 14.04 LTS (Trusty) with 2.5.1 release of Airtime. All services are OK according to airtime-check-system.

Thanks in advance,
    dave