Can Airtime support FLAC?[SOLVED?]
  • I uploaded a FLAC file and it cannot preview it yet in the features page
    you guys clearly stated that Airtime supports supports MP3, Ogg, WAV, FLAC and AAC formats. So how come I cannot preview the file in airtime?

EDIT: Thanks Roger Wilco and John Chewter. Airtime is unable to support free lossless formats and is a piece of junk.
    Post edited by Matt Petersen at 2015-04-26 20:06:47
  • 27 Comments sorted by
  • You downvoted my DIRECT LINK to the truth because it's not TRUTHY enough for you? Really?
  • We are not from Airtime. Roger Wilco and I are very experienced coders and station operators just trying to help you out. We don't care whether you use Airtime, Airtime Pro or Monterey Jack Cheese. Nothing in it for us.

We gave you our best advice. You would do well to heed it.

Airtime (Non Pro but 100% customizable) is User Supported

Airtime Pro - a rented hosted service is NOT customizable at code level but has very good professional support.

Airtime Pro is NOT customizable - at all even slightly. It is a SAAS version of Airtime. You rent it and use it. Period. No Mods allowed.

Good luck with your quest. Do not let the door spank you in the butt on the way out ;)
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • He will be back. He has not finished ranting yet...
  • Airtime 2.51x and 2.52x in one mode, plays preview through the browser. Will the browser play flac?
  • They can with a browser plugin. Have you installed a flac plugin? can you play flac files from your pc in your browser? FLAC is NOT natively supported in most browsers. Period. This will also give your listeners fun and games as most will not be able to hear it.

Have you tried using lossless mp3? http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/mp3hd-new-lossless-mp3-format-explained/

Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-26 15:34:38
  • John already nailed it -- blame poor browser support NOT Team Sourcefabric

...but listeners will hear those FLAC files transcoded over to one of the supported streaming formats just fine :)
  • You're barking up the wrong tree. Previewing essentially passes along the raw assets to the browser without transcoding. FLAC files do indeed work as source files. Just can't preview them. Sorry, go complain to Mozilla about that.
  • I do not think I believe this project.
    Forcing FLAC on an unwilling public when WMA or Lossless MP3 would do it and run on anything - and still be lossless - seems like a silly model. I would upgrade to client to a company that knows which way the wind is blowing.
    FLAC should play in latest firefox and chrome but probably not in IE unless you installed the windoze FLAC codec.

Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-26 17:34:37
  • Firefox doesn't support FLAC, damnit.

Post edited by Roger Wilco at 2015-04-26 19:46:18
  • Matt.
    How RUDE you are! Posting the same/similar stuff in lots of places here makes it even worse - it fills my inbox (and everybody else's) with copies/almost copies of the same stuff. Have a word with yourself my friend or you will find that nobody will help you. This is a USER supported forum. Everyone in here is doing it for free to help guys like you!

This is OPEN SOURCE. If you dont like something - you fix it, you change it, you add it, you share it. I do. This is how open source works. If you cannot do that then maybe Airtime is not for you.

If you want to to deliver a FLAC based airtime - it should be possible. I think it is commercial suicide when there are other universal lossless formats that practically anything will play. If you committed to deliver FLAC only streams then you might want to renegotiate that, as it's easier than changing the whole market.

Firefox played SOME files I just tested. :\

One way of making a universal player/app for FLAC might to use the node.js framework and integrate a js (slow) codec, maybe by extending webrtc.

WMA is lossless, supported by Liquidsoap and icecast. That might work with a couple of modifications to Airtime, if any.

"Why not just tell me to use safari then?" Because there is no currently supported Safari for Windoze any more.

One more arrogant post and you will be off my personal Xmas Card list for sure.

Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-26 19:51:04
  • OK. I wont bother with this software anymore because none of you are able to answer my questions clearly and are behaving like children. I highly suspect that it is a language barrier because I already explained to you who i was, the platform I am using and the situation that I am in and yet you still continue to ask the same questions and act as if I don't know what I am talking about. If you cannot help me and if this software is unable to meet the needs of a client then fine. I was planning on buying airtime pro but since this is the kind of customer service and support I am getting where it seems as if I am bothering you to just answer my questions and you have the audacity to act as if I am the rude one here when you have treated me like this then fine. It doesn’t make any sense because you are too full of yourselves to just tell me the truth. Have a good day.I have emailed customer support ten times already and I have received no feedback as to what is happening. So I know that this company and this software is incompetent and has poor customer service. Have a Good day and goodbye forever.

Matt.
    How RUDE you are! Posting the same/similar stuff in lots of places here makes it even worse - it fills my inbox (and everybody else's) with copies/almost copies of the same stuff. Have a word with yourself my friend or you will find that nobody will help you. This is a USER supported forum. Everyone in here is doing it for free to help guys like you!

This is OPEN SOURCE. If you dont like something - you fix it, you change it, you add it, you share it. I do. This is how open source works. If you cannot do that then maybe Airtime is not for you.

If you want to to deliver a FLAC based airtime - it should be possible. I think it is commercial suicide when there are other universal lossless formats that practically anything will play. If you committed to deliver FLAC only streams then you might want to renegotiate that, as it's easier than changing the whole market.

One way of making a universal player/app for FLAC might to use the node.js framework and integrate a js (slow) codec, maybe by extending webrtc.

WMA is lossless, supported by Liquidsoap and icecast. That might work with a couple of modifications to Airtime, if any.

One more arrogant post and you will be off my personal Xmas Card list for sure.

Post edited by Roger Wilco at 2015-04-26 19:57:39
  • Yeah but recently updated Mozilla documentation can't be trusted and stuff! RAGE!  =))
  • I like doing 'Care in the Community', very satisfying. It must be very hard writing his posts in crayon ;) =))
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-26 20:35:02
  • "Thanks Roger Wilco and John Chewter. Airtime is unable to support free lossless formats and is a piece of junk."
    I am laughing so much I think my pants may NEVER dry! :))
  • I reckon he sold to an investor and cannot deliver. Oh Dear.

However, my test server actually comes very close to what he wants. It's streaming near lossless DAB audio format which European, Chinese, Russian, Arab, African & Japanese Smart TVs and new generation radios and car radios understand.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-26 20:30:11
  • 384kbps MPEG-1 Layer II? For why!? Do you have a small ship anchored off shore somewhere quietly spitting bits at the mainland? :)
  • Because it's not my servers! And they want me :) And it workx on any smart tv
  • You feed them via RF??
  • The data stream can be via the Smart TV's internet or extracted from the digital RF channel as a normal DAB radio station. USA systems may be nothing like this I guess.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-04-27 18:08:36
  • Airtime 2.51x and 2.52x in one mode, plays preview through the browser. Will the browser play flac?

Both Chrome and Firefox can preview ogg and mp3 but they cannot play flac.
    Post edited by Matt Petersen at 2015-04-26 14:59:27

They can with a browser plugin. Have you installed a flac plugin? can you play flac files from your pc in your browser? FLAC is NOT natively supported in most browsers. Period. This will also give your listeners fun and games as most will not be able to hear it.

Have you tried using lossless mp3? http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/mp3hd-new-lossless-mp3-format-explained/

There are no such things as a "flac plugin" for either chrome or firefox. The audio codec is not something you just install as an extension, it would have to be compiled with the browser. No i am unable to play flac files in both browsers. And no it is strictly stipulated by the company  that I am required to have either FLAC or ALAC audio formats so mp3 lossless is not the solution i am looking for even if it is lossless. So how would you make airtime play flac files if there is no browser support? If you know that the browsers are restricted by laws to not support certain codecs then way then why say you support flac?  If you are using the safari broswer that is only available on Mac OS systems and that the safari browser can play flac and alac fine but the majority of users are not gonna be just MAC. You must expect that you are gonna have linux people using firefox or chrome given that you made the software for linux users to use as well.
    Post edited by Matt Petersen at 2015-04-26 16:45:40

• FLAC should play in latest firefox and chrome but probably not in IE unless you installed the windoze FLAC codec.

Tell me something John Chewter have you actually tried using chrome or Firefox to play the flac files or are you just theorizing? because I am telling you that it isn't playing in either of them and I am updated to the latest versions in both Chrome and Firefox. Additionally I am on Linux Ubuntu. I dont have a problem playing on the machine because all codecs are installed via the repository already. You are under the assumption that I am using windows. And why are you both saying contradictory things? Roger Wilco said that Firefox doesn’t support Flac and yet you are saying that firefox should be able to play flac. Who  is correct?    
    Post edited by Matt Petersen at 2015-04-26 18:39:08
  • You're barking up the wrong tree. Previewing essentially passes along the raw assets to the browser without transcoding. FLAC files do indeed work as source files. Just can't preview them. Sorry, go complain to Mozilla about that.

Ok so what is the excuse for chrome? Why not just tell me to use safari then?
  • Firefox doesn't support FLAC, damnnit.

Feel free to try formats that the browser claims it doesn't support - the browser may be lying.

It says so right on the page. So how am I supposed to trust anything then?