REQUEST - Generate programs using a script
  • Hello,
    A major missing feature in Airtime (in my opinion) is the generate a playlist "on the fly".
    So, I would like to use a script that do, for example :

- Add a show, date : Tomorrow, start time 00:00, end time 02:00.
    - Fill this show with content : a file (jingle) and a dynamic smart block.

Then execute this script periodically (using cron). The main interest is that if I add or remove files, the shows will be automatically updated.

If I'm right, all this deal is about PostgreSQL, but I don't have any knowledge about it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Quentin, you can do this more easily by creating a linked repeating show in the Calendar which contains a jingle and a dynamic smart block. See 'Adding a show' in http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/calendar/

If you find that the dynamic smart block does not change content when files are added to or removed from the Library, this is a bug which should be reported.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • The dynamic content only changes when shows are added. Period. The playlist for the show is generated at that time and does not change. What so many folks need and have asked for is dynamic content generation at playing time - so you never get a repeating show with the same content. Quentin's suggestion seems to be an attempt at a work-around for that. Even a SHUFFLE of the list at play-time would be a great improvement. Hmm....  thats not so hard..

Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-08-18 05:55:45
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi Daniel, that's actually what I do. But as said John, once you added the content, it won't change if you add new tracks on your database.

I'm looking for a workaround because I don't know when/if the feature will be added. Is there a ticket for this new feature on the bug tracker?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Quentin, I could not find a ticket dealing with the case in which content is added to or removed from the Library after the smart block is added to the linked repeating show. Please open a ticket for this case and link it to https://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5351

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Done. https://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5901
    Please tell me if I forgot anything
  • Is there no way to do that with a script?
  • Yes of course. But somebody has to write it and it is not very simple.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi,

"The dynamic content only changes when shows are added. Period. " 

I believed the songs in a smart block changed each time a (linked) show containing it was filled. So, if I uploaded new songs, they would be included in the next filling of shows.

From this, I believed that if linked show filling could be somehow delayed and the number of days limited, automatic filling with updated material could be achieved.

Am I wrong?

I searched the database for these parameters (next filling date and number of days to fill) but found nothing. Maybe they're embedded in code?

Thanks in advance.

Jorge.