Error message, cant continue and my community is waiting to broadcast
  • I got this message after long wait during download, please help out

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Thanks.
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Voisses TechVoisses Tech
    Need More Information
    Seems however that
    1.  some broken package/repository   is install on your system. or
    2. you are running update from both the GUI and Command line
    Solution 1
    Now note that if you are installing on ubuntu and that annoying UPDATE GUI is in your unity bar,when the update process is attempted you will get this lock.

try closing it and try again  

Basically you can only use one method to update either from commandline or GUI

Solution 2

try to locate the package in software center (on ubuntu) or from the command line try this

ps aux | grep apt

and kill the process

Solution 3
    Worst case you will have to try remove the lock and reconfigure Apt.
    Please note you may end with a broken system so use with caution this command

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock && sudo dpkg --configure -a

Wish you luck

VOISSES
    Can You Here me Now
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-05-11 01:46:50
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.