unable to create article translations or image meta-data after upgrade to 4.2.1
  • post upgrade, upon entering a title and translation language I am getting a blank page for translate.php -> do_translate.php and then an "Invalid Security Token" Error message if I return on do_translate.php

Also, I am unable to click to save image meta-data.

I suspect some permissions have been reset incorrectly, but trial and error guessing on which exact directories or files might be set incorrectly is getting too complicated. Is there any guidance for permission settings for a secure but functional Newscoop?

Predominantly I have a 755 setting for directories and 644 for php files and everything owned by www.-data:www-data

----EDIT---- (adding error log report entry)

[Sun Mar 16 22:20:59 2014] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'next year'' at line 1' in /var/www/newscoop/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php:633\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/newscoop/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(633): PDO->query('SELECT Number F...')\n#1 /var/www/newscoop/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(396): Doctrine\\DBAL\\Connection->executeQuery('SELECT Number F...', Array)\n#2 /var/www/newscoop/library/Newscoop/Doctrine/AdoDbAdapter.php(173): Doctrine\\DBAL\\Connection->fetchColumn('SELECT Number F...', Array)\n#3 /var/www/newscoop/classes/Article.php(241): Newscoop\\Doctrine\\AdoDbAdapter->getOne('SELECT Number F...')\n#4 /var/www/newscoop/admin-files/articles/do_translate.php(163): Article->translationTitleExists('The last...', '12')\n#5 /var/www/newscoop/application/modules/admin/controller in /var/www/newscoop/vendor/bombayworks/zendframework1/library/Zend/Controller/Plugin/Broker.php on line 336, referer: http://mysite.com/admin/articles/translate.php

Thanks for any insights.
    Post edited by captain stupy at 2014-03-17 01:46:07
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • Well, This doesn't seem to have anything to do with my permissions.

And I am quite discouraged that it has gotten zero input in the several days it's been up. I guess no one else seems to actually avail themselves of the very central multi-lingual publishing feature. And/or no one cares.

It's actually due to a bug as best I can tell. Considering it also appears in Newscoop's own Demo site, http://newscoop-demo.sourcefabric.org/admin 

In translating an article, the 4.2.x versions can not handle non english characters. If I translate and on the first transition page asking for just title and language I enter something in English ("TEMP" for example), I can save and am redirected to the article edit page, where I can re-enter the correct alternative language title and save it successfully. 

I have found this bug in my installations of 4.2, 4.2.1 and in the online demo.