Reducing The effects of an Upgrade ie.Holding your Installed Versions at the current Level with tip
  • once I have a good installation,I hold the installation so I can moniitor any changes and decide if I want to implement them or test first

Then I held back any upgrades from Airtime as they seek to have stability.

You can see this by typing

apt-cache policy airtime

you will see something like this

~$ apt-cache policy airtime
    airtime:
      Installed: 2.5.0-2
      Candidate: 2.5.0-3
      Version table:
         2.5.0-3 0
            500 http://apt.sourcefabric.org/ raring/main amd64 Packages
     *** 2.5.0-2 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

as you see Airtime real current version is 2.5.0-3 0

Apparently one of the down fall of this is that when you upgrade airtime minor verses you will sometime break your Icecast configuration,,fallback,css  or any modifications you made.

I had the experience of even Icecast become broken when I did my upgrade from 2.5.0 to 2.5.0-2.

I hope Moving forward Airtime will have what is known as stable release (all upgrades are held back) and current version.

Long since I used Linux there always suggest that once its working then do not every day upgrades except for security updates.so lets now held back all subsequent upgrades unless it major release.

sudo apt-mark hold airtime

that is you are holding back all upgrades for airtime at the same time allowing any security updates

now you will see in your upgrade line

The following packages have been kept back:
      airtime linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

Now go ahead update all you want with upgrade

now when you feel that you want to upgrade safely or to a new major version,just

sudo apt-mark unhold airtime

Most People will suggest that using a fallback script is not the right approach.
    I myself will encourage you to use the Airtime interface for most task and suggest limited use of Fallback.

Fallback lacks the ability to

In GUI
    • To monitor what is playing except via terminal
    • To do any major reporting

In Error handling

• limited to liquidsoap inbuilt
    • have to be code by you

However it offers the best option and opportunity to do things your way.

I would like to thanks Micah for pointing to me that the scripts broke regularly.

This is a feature,I never notice and I will tell you during how to fixed and prevent this

I love airtime for its flexibility

* V.O.I.S.S.E.S.      *         *
    * Can You Hear Me Now *         *
    ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♩♪♫♩♪♫♪♩♫♪♩ ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬
    ######################################################
    [En][24/7][712- 432- 8476]############################
    http://tunein.com/radio/BIGLINK-RADIO-s190864/
    [Korean][24/7] [712- 432- 8464]#######################
    http://tunein.com/radio/Goaheadmissionorg-s190399/
    [En][Sundays 2300-Mondays 0600 EST][712- 432- 8437]###
    http://tunein.com/radio/Caribbean-Experience-s200915/

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2017-04-10 07:19:20
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • I will post my final script here because I hope ,everyone will see the complexity of what is really required of Airtime to achieve almost all that is required.

I hope someone with more advance skill than me will be able to use Php and modify the Airtime interface to best suite this approach and can help the airtime team.

Here is what I have Manage to acheive.
    1. TOH (with News,Jingles)
    2. Sweepers
    3. Temperature schedule(partially complete)
    4. Weekly schedules (different Genre at different times and on Different Days)

My First task was to make my script

• easy to admend with minimal edits of Airtime script
    • easy to admend at anytime
    • can be place where if even Airtime upgrade it does not affect the script

So I broke down my script in the following order(this order is key to run smoothly).

1. playlist
    2. processing
    3. schedules
    4. fallbacks
    5. lineinputs

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Then I held back any upgrades from Airtime as they seek to have stability.

apt-cache policy airtime

airtime:
      Version table:
         2.5.0-3 0
     *** 2.5.0-2 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Apparently one of the down fall of this is that when you upgrade airtime minor verses you will sometime break your Icecast configuration,,fallback,css  or any modifications you made.

I had the experience of even Icecast become broken when I did my upgrade from 2.5.0 to 2.5.0-2.

I hope Moving forward Airtime will have what is known as stable release (all upgrades are held back) and current version.

Long since I used Linux there always suggest that once its working then do not every day upgrades except for security updates.so lets now held back all subsequent upgrades unless it major release.

that is you are holding back all upgrades for airtime at the same time allowing any security updates

now when you feel that you want to upgrade safely or to a new major version,just

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2017-04-10 07:14:18
  • now lets create a folder that will hold all my fallback scripts,I will chose /srv/fallback/,you can chose anywhere you wish.

sudo mkdir /srv/fallback/

lets make the directory writeable

sudo chmod 777 -R /srv/fallback/

now copy your five scripts(playlist,processing....) above in your fallback folder.

If you have not created these then lets do that now.

touch /srv/fallback/playlist.liq
    touch /srv/fallback/schedules.liq
    touch /srv/fallback/processing.liq
    touch /srv/fallback/fallback.liq
    touch /srv/fallback/lineinput.liq

You might have to use sudo because of inherited permissions

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-11-12 06:26:19
  • here is a sample from my previous tutorial here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15701/fallover-101-how-to-make-all-scripts-worked-easy-steps-to-build-your-scripts-fixed-silence

I will take script #2. (this script does not  have a lineinput.liq)

playlist.liq will contain this (sudo pico /srv/fallback/playlist.liq)

# Music
    myplaylist     = playlist(mode="random",reload=300,"/srv/backup/music")
    # If something goes wrong, we'll play this like a startup
    startup = playlist("/srv/backup/startup")
    # If something goes wrong, we'll play this
    security = single("/srv/backup/drops/station.mp3")
    #
    # jingles
    jingles     = playlist(mode="random",reload=300,"/srv/backup/jingles")
    #
    # stationid
    stationID    = playlist(mode="random",reload=300,"/srv/backup/stationid")

schedules.liq will contain this

#*********Create Some Schedule Event********************************

# This type of schedule will cause the music to stop
    # The trick to make a seperate variable for schedule
    # when the time reach liquidsoap knows something happen jumps to fall back and see there is a schedule
    # It plays the fall back it first meets
    # try to space your timing more appropriately this is just a sample
    # this is a hourly break out
    # it makes better use of carts like(jingle,promo,beds,station ID) 

schedule=
             add([
                   switch([
                            ({ 0m00s },delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 0m30s},delay(1.,stationID)),
                            ({ 03m10s},delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 15m00s},delay(1.,stationID)),
                            ({ 25m00s},delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 30m00s},delay(1.,stationID)),
                            ({ 32m00s},delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 35m00s},delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 45m00s},delay(1.,stationID)),
                            ({ 45m40s},delay(1.,jingles)),
                            ({ 50m00s },delay(1.,jingles)),
                         ])
               ])

processing.liq will contain this
    #******Start building the feed with music*************************************
    # Start building the feed with music by assigning to the same clock (variables)

mymusicbackup = mksafe(myplaylist)
    mystartup = startup

#******Feed with music*************************************************

# And now to play the back up music when something goes wrong

playmymusicbackup=rotate(weights = [1,4],[mystartup,mymusicbackup])

#********Processing Section*****************************************

fallback.liq will contain this

#*******Fallback to schedule with music************************************

# Fall back for Music track_sensitive=false,because we want the music pause/stop then
    # play the schedule and start again

playmymusicbackup = fallback(track_sensitive = false,[schedule,playmymusicbackup])

#*******Fallback to default**********************************************

#And finally the security

default = fallback(track_sensitive = false,[schedule,playmymusicbackup,security])

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-11-12 06:28:32
  • Now Once you create those file you do not need to  recreate them  again unless you delete them or want to modify them .

this is what you need to modify in each time  you upgrade your Airtime

link your fall back script to airtime.

• sudo ln -s /srv/fallback/ /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap_scripts/

edit your ls-script and place this at the top

sudo pico /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap_scripts/ls_script.liq

%include "fallback/playlist.liq"
    %include "fallback/schedules.liq"
    %include "fallback/processing.liq"
    %include "fallback/fallback.liq"

Comment out the default line like this

#default = amplify(id="silence_src", 0.00001, noise())

I will show you later how to take this line and  trigger an event

This is an advance approach so make sure you are aware or have read part 1. and follow all my recommendations

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-11-14 08:35:36
  • now The benefits
    Lets Say I want change the ways my jingles times,I just open schedules.liq and put the Times
    I found a short offair.ogg in airtime folder.I write this as a fallback and when liquidsoap gets to the rotation it does this for a few secs,I set a strip blank and Bam its okay.

You can restart the script for immediate effect but here is what to do so you will not affect listeners

For internet Stream
    create a backupfile in your icecast that will give your station name

For Transmitters
    If you use my input script you are okay

* V.O.I.S.S.E.S.      *         *
    * Can You Hear Me Now *         *
    ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♩♪♫♩♪♫♪♩♫♪♩ ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬
    [En][24/7][712- 432- 8476]############################
    http://tunein.com/radio/BIGLINK-RADIO-s190864/
    [Korean][24/7] [712- 432- 8464]#######################
    http://tunein.com/radio/Goaheadmissionorg-s190399/
    [En][Sundays 2300-Mondays 0600 EST][712- 432- 8437]###
    http://tunein.com/radio/Caribbean-Experience-s200915/
    Disclaimer:-
    "The Views express by me in no way reflect the staff,team,management of airtime,its affiliate or its
    representative.
    I am in no way a member of the staff,team,management of airtime,its affiliate or its representative,

My views are my own opinion of which I hope will help to construed a discussion in order to solve, resolved or to make things better.

If you follow my opinions,you do so at your own risk and I bear no responsibility for your actions or in-actions.

My opinions is not my final thoughts but something I think as I try come to my final conclusion"

#####################################################################
  • Then I held back any upgrades from Airtime as they seek to have stability.

apt-cache policy airtime

airtime:
      Version table:
         2.5.0-3 0
     *** 2.5.0-2 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

• Hi

Got this working, only problem I have is it goes to startup = playlist("/media/startup")
    and not myplaylist     = playlist(mode="random",reload=300,"/media/Rock")

changed the startup to the playlist directory and it seems to work ok

If Ive done something wrong could you point me in the direction to look at.

very very new to airtime and liquidsoap.

but very willing to learn

Cheers Ron
  • As you PM me to let me now all is well.
    well what can I say about this outdated thread
    uses at your own risks
    I will build you an interface to change the parameters like threshold and max blank time so you can change it from the interface than from the script

kind of increase the time from 15sec to say 60 or 90,especially if you have webstream
    or 120 to 300 if you have talk shows/
    I have a switch that will allows you to activate it from the schedule play.
    I will test it more and give to you
    I should also soon be able to make it show in the widget as I am rewriting that
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2016-07-02 07:11:43
  • cant wait to try your new script.

I have rebuilt my test server to 2.5.1 as no one seems to be using 2,5,2

Let me know when its ready

Ron

• Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.