How to broadcast live and do interviewing using Skype?
  • I will be doing regular live shows where I will be interviewing people from around the world. How do I integrate Skype for the interviewing? 
  • 16 Comments sorted by
  • There are basically two ways I know
    1. with a second soundcard or an additional computer
    2. Using IDJC - Internet Dj Console Found in Ubuntu Repositories  or Here

I would recommended #2 it uses Jack also to connect linux but if you are using windows you will have to use additional computer or soundcard

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Thank you Voisses!

After I posted my question I browse around the forum and I noticed quite a few threads about a software named Mixxx..it seems one can use this software to broadcast live but I am not certain how to connect Skypewith Mixxx?

Any one here knows?
  • MIXXX is more like a Playout/DJ software in that it allows you to play your music to Airtime.

MIXXX have now include a mic input which allows you to input voice through your soundcard/controllers.

what I have found is that with most controllers I used the latency have to be tweaked to find that "sweet spot"

What You need is some way to combine(route) your audio so that you can push the inputs from your station to Skype and Vice versa (in the reverse order). Assume Feedback are negligible for now.

You need on one of two methods
    1. One Computer Solution Through what is called Virtual Cabling [In Linux its Jack  and for Windows its VAC -Virtual Audio Cabling]
    2. Two Computer or Sound Card Solution and this is physically cabling inputs to outputs and outputs to inputs
    MIXXX include some support for Jack you could check there wiki or forum for help

My recommended way is that you Have a look at IDJC. or you have to search for suggested solution s on the Web.

I find IDJC to be unique and have someone using it from about 2 years Now,"They told me I would have to pry their dying hands off it for changes.

Another Unique solution is some form VOIP solution.

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Thanks voisses! I do appreciate the time you are giving here.

I do however feel sad to see how much one have to go through in order to do a a live show or interviewing. I am setting up a radio station but the broadcasters are going to be located in different part of the world, is just no for msyelf...and I can see the challenges in  trying to do what I am trying to do with Airtime.
  • One of the  fascinating features from Airtime (of many of course) is the opportunity for a radio to  give access to many DJs..this is why I started investigating Airtime in the first place, but I am very surprise they haven't  make a video explaining with absolutely clarify how to broadcast a radio show  and receive guests at the same time!!!!!!!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Ria Mia said:

One of the  fascinating features from Airtime (of many of course) is the opportunity for a radio to  give access to many DJs..this is why I started investigating Airtime in the first place, but I am very surprise they haven't  make a video explaining with absolutely clarify how to broadcast a radio show  and receive guests at the same time!!!!!!!

there is a screencast about "Broadcasting Live with Airtime", where Josh explains howto connect with different icecast-clients like Mixxx or BUTT http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/resources/screencasts/

This is not very hard to configure!

The other thing is to setup an icecast-client like Mixxx to receive the sound from skype.
    Which should also not be that hard to configure.

So, for the first part of the question there is a screencast and you should find several youtube-vids about "howto broadcast/record skype". This all depends on your operating system of choice.

But if you once have configured everything right and write down a step-by-step-manual or make a screencast for your DJs, this will be no problem for everyone to do.

cheers, hoerich
    Post edited by hoerich at 2013-10-28 18:34:16
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • We have had skype/telephone numbers integrated with airtime/liquidsoap since 1.8 for live talk shows.

the great work of the airtime developers to get live show sources working, and the progress of liquidsoap to handle mono streams makes this a great solution for talk radio and live shows.

we use freeswitch for all the telephony which handles the inbound skype and telephone calls,  we also can place outbound calls to guests and bridge a talk show live into airtime.   This can be embeded on same server or distributed across multiple airtimes.

These live events can auto be sourced as MASTER or SHOW and override schedule, or you can place them in webstreams and program show around the live content.

We can also record all live shows and allow for mp3 tagging and insertion into airtimes media library. So you are able to rebroadcast.

Since the solution is standards based.  Hosts/DJ's can use any sip phones, and browser based webrtc audio clients to do their shows.

We have deployed this for a number of stations along with a more custom switchboard, automation, and on demand archive and playback.  For more information you can look at a2zen.fm and studios.fm

I would be glad to work closely with some other community members to document and improve the current functionality and give back to project.

regards,
    Stephen

• Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    thanks for sharing your experiences, stephen
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Sometime in 2011,Digium started to write us saying that they will stop support for Skype on  free pbxes.
    Digium suggested that existing customer they would continue support for approximately 2 years which should end about mid year 2013.

This decision was because of Microsoft terminating the agreement for Skype.

Most of us still have access,but early 2012,the experience was miserable with Skype on any device except a number of Microsoft supported device.

My point is that anytime now the luxury of skype on free pbx's will go.

I guess it has not gone yet it because   of the Big "G"s step in VOIP and Microsoft is watching it.

But they definitely screw it over Anytime now.

Good Luck

VOISSES
  • Sometime in 2011,Digium started to write us saying that they will stop support for Skype on  free pbxes.
    Digium suggested that existing customer they would continue support for approximately 2 years which should end about mid year 2013.

This decision was because of Microsoft terminating the agreement for Skype.

Most of us still have access,but early 2012,the experience was miserable with Skype on any device except a number of Microsoft supported device.

My point is that anytime now the luxury of skype on free pbx's will go.

I guess it has not gone yet it because   of the Big "G"s step in VOIP and Microsoft is watching it.

But they definitely screw it over Anytime now.

Good Luck

VOISSES
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Stephen,

Stephen said:

I would be glad to work closely with some other community members to document and improve the current functionality and give back to project.

We would really like to see that - would you like to start by drafting some notes on your implementation?

Cheers!

Daniel
  • There are some hacked up skype integrations to asterisk and freeswitch, that try to use a modified linux skype client bridge to the pbx.  these don't scale because you need multiple clients running to support concurrent calls, and like Voisses says break often and have no long term support.

We use skype business, and buy commercial sip channels that interface to our telephony talk show server.

This way we can handle 50-60 callers and guests concurrently across a number of live airtime feeds.
    This skype service is commerical and will be supported long term since it is standards based.

Any user can add the station skype name to their contacts and join live.  Also can have DID telephone numbers so users call from cellphones and landlines as guests of hosts.

@Dan to answer your question. 

As for current integration, we integrated freeswitch direct to liquidsoap, and have a simple custom switchboard that provides a greenroom for prescreening, chat, and ability to play audio cues and recording of shows. The shows can be controlled remotely by host them self, or also produced remotely.

The live shows are recording and then ingested in airtime's libary and another open source media server that handles podcasting, rss feeds, and ability to playout on mobile devices. 

Video is also partially supported, with web-rtc live browser audio using opus-48 in pilot now.

Would love to see some of these features move into the core airtime.

Regards,
    Stephen

• will revisit 

Voisses
  • I am seeing, in other Forums, posts that say the Skype API will be dropped in early December this year! Maybe this should be checked out, if you use it.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    WebRTC is perhaps a better solution
    open source and well documented (and working on Firefox and Chrome)
  • Webrtc can connect thru websockets G711/Opus in chrome and firebox browsers directly into freeswitch.  So you could run node.js and use websocket library to get single peered stream to airtime.

our solution handles full auto mixing of talk show host/DJs and call in guests. 
    Audio cues and sound effects can also be played live during the show.

You could have multiple DJs call in from around the world to produce shows together.

Also recording of the live show occurs automatically and is archived into airtime, and a podcast server that automates RSS feeds into itunes   This provides an on demand library of performances.

Our core business is live video conferencing and the thought of using airtime for video playout as mentioned in the recent hangout discussions is promising.

stephen