Random Play From Directories and SubDirectories
  • Hi there,

I've seen some LS hacks listed, but I'm wishing for the day this will be integrated as an Airtime feature. I think random play from directories (and sub-directories) is a fundamental necessity for music streaming software.

Maybe in Airtime 2.5 ?

• 9 Comments sorted by
  • I am working on that is why I welcome if most people adopt on or the other so I can gather sufficient information to put a best fit solution.

One suggestion was to have the system have variable silence detection and expiry dates.

I am still understanding the full structure of airtime ,calendar and switches.

thanks for your suggestion

Voisses
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Just checking back to see if there was any progress here...
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    you can do that directly with ls_script modifications (examples on this forum)
    but I'm agree with you, this is really a needed feature...
  • Just to clarify for newbie that reads this

Airtime can do Random Play From Directories and SubDirectories using any of the option from the library which includes playlist,smart playlist and dynamic playlist

In fact How initially I used to do mine is that for the first 10mintes from TOH I block those out then I put the time ,jingles and news in there.
    I even schedule many different things based on time.

The Ls modifications came about when Airtime was silent when noting was schedule that is when Airtime went in a safe mode (mksafe).
    So the Ls Modification is in no way related to random play etc. where there is no option but to setup something similar to a cartwheel in most software.

I have look at this an Yes Airtime is 80% taken care of this implementation because all is needed is to put an offline playlist in the library and to have you select through a smart playlist and then to run at a speciied time

The only missing field I see here is the time of day similar to the calendar.

In conclusion

Random Play is already implemented
    Offline  play TBA

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-09-26 16:15:07
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Just to clarify for newbie that reads this

Airtime can do Random Play From Directories and SubDirectories using any of the option from the library which includes playlist,smart playlist and dynamic playlist

In fact How initially I used to do mine is that for the first 10mintes from TOH I block those out then I put the time ,jingles and news in there.
    I even schedule many different things based on time.

The Ls modifications came about when Airtime was silent when noting was schedule that is when Airtime went in a safe mode (mksafe).
    So the Ls Modification is in no way related to random play etc. where there is no option but to setup something similar to a cartwheel in most software.

I have look at this an Yes Airtime is 80% taken care of this implementation because all is needed is to put an offline playlist in the library and to have you select through a smart playlist and then to run at a speciied time

The only missing field I see here is the time of day similar to the calendar.

In conclusion

Random Play is already implemented
    Offline  play TBA

Sorry I don't understand your text.
    The way I see random play is: to have Airtime auto-populate the "now playing" queue by taking a song at random from a specified directory. (Respective search/indexing within this directory should be recursive in order to include sub-directories). Random play is not a playlist. I don't think it has been made possible to just say "play something from that directory". 

Post edited by Thomas Hackett at 2013-09-27 07:46:56
  • "The way I see random play is: to have Airtime auto-populate the "now playing" queue by taking a song at random from a specified directory."

Would your directory name say classics,R&B,Music etc.

What would you name these directory? by genre,by title,or what?.
    Please look at the library ==> smart block ===> dynamic option and the criteria.
    The Only one I see missing is All from the Music folder

A dynamic smart block will only save the criteria. The block content will get generated upon adding it to a show. You will not be able to view and edit the content in the Library.

Can You point me to a software that does it different?

"Random play is not a playlist."

Are you asking to have options to have Now Playing being able to Shuffle,Repeat and Random?
    Please note these are options to have a playlist that you generate does that.

Respective search/indexing within this directory should be recursive in order to include sub-directories

Airtime ingest media in the library and store them by in a folder by Artist (/srv/imported/1/Artist)
    all metatag information are stored in the database where search and indexing takes place via the options selected in the library.

I think you are mixing up the folders created in the ls_script.This is as I said a modification for when your Airtime go silence .that is when nothing is schedule.
    If you always have something schedule in the calendar, and your airtime never go silent .You Do not need that script and hence those folders you see (like /srv/backup/music).

I am testing the ways to create smart blocks / playlist in your library and then ask airtime to play those at specific times and auto play when nothing is schedule based on these smart blocks/playlist.

• Oh you might need to make a request feature  for shuffle,repeat and random when now playing as I do not see anyone making this request

• Can You point me to a software that does it different?

e.g. WinAmp -> File -> Play folder -> select /mp3 . Click [shuffle] They all do it. WaveStreaming, Centover Cast, Sam Broadcaster, RadioJar, VLC, MIXXX, even your phone will have the ability to play the whole library without the need to make a playlist. They generally start with the first song they find in the library and play everything in sequence until they get to the last track, unless you click shuffle, in which case you get what I'm looking for.

Note: You cannot rely on metatag information. Sometimes you need file name and path.
    Post edited by Thomas Hackett at 2013-09-27 12:11:43
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    I'm with Thomas & Albert FR.
    devs are working on this feature. It's high demanded and priorized http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-1945

Actually you can everytime take a look at the dev-instance to see what future may bring.
    http://airtime-dev.sourcefabric.org
    Maybe it's not always latest build, but still a sneak peek.

cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.