Stream cuts out while fallback is in use [Solved]
  • So, I've got a bit of a problem. The stream cuts out every once in a while but it only does it when the fallback with liquidsoap is running. Streaming via the master output through airtime or scheduling content in airtime is fine. 

I can't seem to find in the logs where the stream is dropping, which log file would that be in? 

Taken from the ls_script.log: 

2013/08/20 21:17:57 [decoder:3] Method "MAD" accepted "/srv/music//Big Sean f. Lil Wayne & Jhene Aiko - Beware (Radio Edit).mp3".
    2013/08/20 21:17:57 [stderr:3] TagLib: String::prepare() - Unicode conversion error.
    2013/08/20 21:18:06 [server:3] New client: localhost.
    2013/08/20 21:18:06 [server:3] Client localhost disconnected.
    2013/08/20 21:18:08 [music:3] Finished with "/srv/music//Sleeping With Sirens f. MGK - Alone (Radio Edit).mp3".
    2013/08/20 21:18:08 [music:3] Prepared "/srv/music//Big Sean f. Lil Wayne & Jhene Aiko - Beware (Radio Edit).mp3" (RID 1).
    2013/08/20 21:18:08 [quota_5602:3] Switch to jingles with forgetful transition.
    2013/08/20 21:18:08 [decoder:3] Method "MAD" accepted "/srv/jingles//yupradio.mp3".
    2013/08/20 21:18:10 [jingles:3] Finished with "/srv/jingles//yupradio.mp3".
    2013/08/20 21:18:10 [jingles:3] Prepared "/srv/jingles//yupradio.mp3" (RID 4).
    2013/08/20 21:18:10 [quota_5602:3] Switch to music with forgetful transition.

Why would it say it's an invalid sample rate? all the songs I uploaded are 320 kbps MP3. What causes the Unicode conversion error as well?

Post edited by Nolan Wagner at 2013-08-22 17:47:43
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Need for you to

- Post here the script you are using

- "The stream cuts out every once in a while but it only does it when the fallback with liquidsoap is running."
    What do you mean? Please be more clearer. Is it that you lose connections to the output server (Icecast/Shoutcast) or Is it that it goes blank (dead air) or is it transitions to and from a schedule .
    To test if you lose connection from your output server ,use vlc or winamp or other clients and if you have to press play to continue then let me know.It will record in the logs (icecast and shout cast).

- " I can't seem to find in the logs where the stream is dropping, which log file would that be in?"
    it is in your icecast or shoutcast log. for clients connections
     tail -f /var/log/icecast/error.log or tail -f /var/log/icecast/access.log
    However "dump your logs" and let me have a look at it the command is

- Why would it say it's an invalid sample rate? all the songs I uploaded are 320 kbps MP3.
    For Liquidsoap valid sample rates are as follows
        Constant 128 kbps bitrate encoding: %mp3(bitrate=128),samplerate of 22050 Hz.44100Hz and 48,000hz
        Variable bitrate with quality 6 ex. samplerate of 22050 Hz: %mp3.vbr(quality=7,samplerate=22050)
        Average bitrate with mean of 128 kbps, maximun bitrate 192 kbps and id3v2 tags: %mp3.abr(bitrate=128,max_bitrate=192,id3v2=true)

anything outside these ranges are considered invalid. I do not know why you encode your songs with such an high bit rate there.You lose nothing between 128 -192 kbps encoded (unless you are using classical or instrumentals) then you could put your stream bit rate to say 256kbps depending on your bandwidth

- What causes the Unicode conversion error as well?
    Seems you have some mono encoded files and if my memory serves right there is a problem with MONO files

See you
    Voisses

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I think I've solved the issue of the cut out, it was actually the whole box lagging. I'll post back if I find anything else on the issue. 

As for 320 kbps, that's what the labels send me. I'm too lazy to change the files to a lower bitrate. They all seem to play, though, so I'm going to ignore the errors for now. 

My stream is set at 256 kbps. There is actually quite a bit lost between 128 and 256, if you have the right set of speakers. 
  • To be honest I am not much of an audio-phile but I read so much on Audio lossless,compress and the rest that I am "congest".If you get what I mean.

What i do know is that >192kbps you will see the invalid in liquidsoap.It will not stop the audio from being decode and play but just that annoying info. in the logs.

For those who want to do a conversion FFMpeg is the swiss army knife and no better GUI than Winff will do the trick

It can be Tweak ,runs on multiple operating system.and can do batch audio.

Glad you found the problem
    Voisses

Marked the thread "SOLVED" or "RESOLVED" in the header and start a new thread  for other problem

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.