Basics For connecting Your Streaming Tools Butt,MIXXX,etc.- for Dummies - Like me
  • How to Get your Operating System Streaming tools to connect to Airtime and stream Live.

Start Here If You are a beginner and want a full understanding of the steps

This tutorial assumes that
    • you have correctly install the Streaming client tools like Butt,m3w,Edcast,Winamp,Mixxx,TraKtor,Virtual Dj or Any other.
    •  you know how to locate and can change the Options which may also be called Preference or Tools.
    • you have tested your install of airtime and can at least do basic streaming to any media player 
    • you have a working Airtime installation.Try the demo here http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/demo/
    Let makes some simple decision first.
    We will call the

Mounts
    • Master   - We will call the   mainstudio  - this will be the mount
    • Show     - We will call the   djjamming  - this will be the mount
    You can chose whatever name you like

Ports
    • For Master we will be sending this through port 8080
    • For Show   we will be sending this through port  8900

Write these down Somewhere

feel free to use suitable ports subject to conditions on no concurrent ports and no ports below 1024

Username
    • We will use source as the username for master and set up all our djs in Users in Airtime

IP Address

• You will get this from your connection url when you save your stream settings

Preambles (just Reference information and not part of the steps to follow)
    1. Again Now you can chose whatever ports you want [Linux recommend a port greater than 1024].
    2. Do not use ports that are near in number like port 8080 for Master and port 8081 for Show.
    3. Shoutcast recommend that you leave the next numbered port available and so if you are doing port forward always do like 8080-8081 for any clients
    4. Butt actually search the next numbered port if it cannot connect on your stated ports like if you chose port 8080 for your port and Butt cannot connect it will try port 8081.

So lets take what we have now and plug that in our set up.

Keys
    Light purple for Airtime settings
    Green for Master settings
    Silver/grey for Dj settings

Start Here If You are a beginner and Just want to dive in

We will be using master to do this setup

So here are the things we have for master

Username    -----------------   source
    Mount          -----------------   mainstudio
    Port              -----------------    8080
    Password     -----------------    something

you should put a good password for yourself

Airtime set up

1. log in to airtime
    2. Then go to System=========> Stream
    3. Enter this

Master Username                source
    Master Password                 something
    Master Source Port              8080
    Master  Mount Point            mainstudio

You do not need to enter anything in the Master connection URL when you save it will change automatically for you. see condition below

Master  Connection Url:       N/A

click save and you are ready to have your client connection setup

After You save your Stream Settings write down the IP address you see here in the Master Connection URL. to enter in your client streaming tools(BUTT,MIXXX,M3w etc.)

Streamining tools setup

Here is what you now have for information to enter.

Username    -----------------   source
    Mount          -----------------   mainstudio
    Port              -----------------    8080
    Password     -----------------    something
    IP Address  ---------------------(the one you just obtain from airtime stream settings saved)

now go to MIXXX,Virtualdj etc

1.  enter the information as above
    2. save the information
    3.  enable your connection and

you should be streaming live to the master

Now  remeber this is only for the master setup you will have set up the DJ with different mount point so put the details in your

Show Source Port              8900
    Show Mount Point            djjamming 

You
    do not need to enter anything in the Show  Source Connection URL when you
    save it will change automatically for you. see condition below

Show  Source  Connection Url:       N/A

click save and you are ready to have your client connection setup and
    it will change automatically for you.

Please note

For you to use a Show source,you will have to create a Show in the Calendar and then it will ask if you want to use a custom dj and/or Airtime authentication
    Remember only Dj can be authenticated for a show source so if an admin or programmer or others you must also list them as a dj.
    Show source will either have to be entered on a different client machine (the One with BUTT,etc) or erase the settings you have for the master and enter for dj

Show Source Port              8900
    Show Mount Point            djjamming
    Username and password is from Airtime user account or if you created a custom dj use those.I use
    source as my custom dj username

Notes (things You should know)

1. do not append your mount point  with mp3 or ogg
    2. do not use the same port as your icecast streaming port
    3. do not use the same password you use for Icecast again for master
    4. do not chose immediate numbered ports for master and Show( like 8080 and 8081 respectively)
    5. chose different mount for Master and Show and Icecast

The condition to change your  Master Connection Url is that your are behind a firewall and need to port forward.This can be a little confusing and I would say unless you are sure you need to then you should change it.

For my firewall,I carry three zones,Red for WAN,Green for LAN,Orange for SERVERS.if you configure your firewall correctly .you do not need to do anything.Consult your adminstrator for further direction.

Happy Streaming with Airtime
    VOISSES

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-08-06 19:03:10
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • 14 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Do not use ports that are near in number like port 8080 for Master and port 8081 for Show.

1. Shoutcast recommend that you leave the next numbered port available and so if you are doing port forward always do like 8080-8081 for any clients
    2. Butt actually search the next numbered port if it cannot connect on your stated ports like if you chose port 8080 for your port and Butt cannot connect it will try port 8081.

nice summary, Voisses!
    the first point is essential.

If you set 8004 for Mastersource and 8005 for Showsource and accidentally try to connect with Mastersource on Port 8005 you will be able to connect, but scheduled webstreams to correct Mastersource (Port 8004) will not be taken over.
    So, Mastersource is able to connect through Showsource-Port.
    Maybe this could be changed from devs.

The second point is new to me!
    I did not experience similar behaviour.

But the most important thing is the different handling of mountpoint-value of the differenct clients.
    Some need a slash prefixed, some not... and so on...
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • If You have any problem in how I outlined it let me know here so I can fixed it
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Hi, I have a question about using show source.

Can you can only connect a show source during the scheduled show?

If yes, then the transition at the beginning of the show is not so elegant. Ideally, you would be able to connect a show source at any time but not be switched on until the actual scheduled time slot.

Also, how does Airtime handle authentication when there are multiple djs on the same show? Can any of the djs connect?

Thanks.
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca

Hi, I have a question about using show source.

Can you can only connect a show source during the scheduled show?

If yes, then the transition at the beginning of the show is not so elegant. Ideally, you would be able to connect a show source at any time but not be switched on until the actual scheduled time slot.

afaik, it's exactly as you assume.

We were talking about it in one of the last hangouts (I think #2), you should find this linked somewhere onboard.

Your ideal-solution hides a few problems because there is only one showsource-mountpoint and only one source per mountpoint can be connected at the same time.

So you would need two mountpoints and there would begin the problem...
    How should a DJ know which mountpoint to connect?
    How should Airtime know which mountpoint to use when there are two or more showsourc-mountpoints?

We were talking a lot about this topic.
    A half-solution could be to broadcast a trigger-sound during the delay-gap.
    This could also sound like: Live-Show on Radio XY - be prepared.

I think more important is the end of the show.
    Because if a DJ expects his show ending at 10:01:00, it already ended 5-10sec (time of delay) earlier and his last words will be cut off.

Also, how does Airtime handle authentication when there are multiple djs on the same show? Can any of the djs connect?

Thanks.

I don't know what happens. Learning by burning.
    I expect first-come-first-serve. DJ A is connected leads in DJ B cannot connect.
    But that's just an assumption.
    cheers
  • What if there was a mountpoint for each scheduled show? It would be clear to Airtime what mountpoint is to go live by looking at the schedule.

I get your comment about the end of show. The remote dj has to be looking at a clock (remote clock) that is ahead of the Airtime clock by the amount of the latency. The remote DJ can't monitor the final audio live so can't take any cues from it. She must go by the clock.

Perhaps the solution is similar to what we do in the studio when we're changing shows. We play some spots while we get everything switched over and set up. So any given program in the calendar should have a couple of spots programmed at the beginning. For example,

10:00:00 - spots start to play
    10:00:25 - show source is connected
    10:04:00 - spots just ending, show source goes live by activating switch (note 1)
    11:00:00 - spots start to play for next show and show source is disconnected

note 1: Who throws the switch and when? You can't depend on auto-switching. The DJ could throw it based on the Airtime clock, not the remote clock.
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca

• "What if there was a mount point for each scheduled show? It would be clear to Airtime what mountpoint is to go live by looking at the schedule."

Not too clear

If you are setting up various mount points on a single server then those would by pass the airtime

let say you set up mount points like this tutorial http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-24-for-broadcasters/icecast-handover/
    then Airtime would not affect

If you are setting up various mount points on separate server then pass them as web streams in you library,then this would more suite your situation you mention

you could do this by a local server or use something like this panel

"I get your comment about the end of show. The remote dj has to be looking at a clock (remote clock) that is ahead of the Airtime clock by the amount of the latency. The remote DJ can't monitor the final audio live so can't take any cues from it. She must go by the clock."

sync all your server  and desktop doing  this

http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-24-for-broadcasters/setting-the-server-time/

If you are using windows the time server can be set  by clicking on the time 
    Now the remote station will connect as per there time at the work station.

Common practice is to start broadcast on all remote station 5 minutes before they actually connect with the main station.

grab yourself a 3 min instrumental and 1m 30s before the transition you start that instrumental on the TOH you welcome your listener and complete that 1m30s after TOH then slide right in your programme 

"Who throws the switch and when? You can't depend on auto-switching. The DJ could throw it based on the Airtime clock, not the remote clock."

The main station will flip the switch

You can listen to  www.biglinkradio.net  Sunday 11:00pm (2200) to Monday 6:00am (0600) EST.
    I am 250 miles from the main station and you will see how i transistion

V.O.I.S.S.E.S
    Can You hear me now

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-09-19 10:51:39
  • Does anyone have a way to monitor the source streams before they go on air? I've tried simply opening up the URL in a media player http://10.0.2.133:8006/livestream.ogg but it cannot connect. I realise the showmounts don't authenticate until the show starts (bonkers in my opinion) but the master source does. Any one got round this?

Does anyone have a way to monitor the source streams before they go on air? I've tried simply opening up the URL in a media player http://10.0.2.133:8006/livestream.ogg but it cannot connect. I realise the showmounts don't authenticate until the show starts (bonkers in my opinion) but the master source does. Any one got round this?

Master Source overrides everything, no matter if something is scheduled or not.
    And you don't need to schedule a show if you want to use master Source.

For Monitoring:
    Take the link shown under System => Streams => Stream 1 (or 2 or 3) => Stream URL
    You can also look at icecast-status-page http://10.0.2.133:8006 (in your case) if mountpoint is connected.

cheers
  • Hmmm but surely that is the stream of Airtime (i.e what ever programme is currently scheduled) itself and not the remote source? I want a check the remote source (programme to be streamed in) while a scheduled pre-recorded show is going out (via my soundcard).
  • currently the only way to do this is

• if you want to monitor the actual audio stream is via a log
                so open the terminal and type
                sudo airtime-log -t liquidsoap
    • if you want to monitor the actual audio db (Vu meter)

you could pass the output through a mixer or

I have a 2496 Audiopille and the software comes with a VU Meter

I therefore open a terminal and the 2496 GUI and have both on the screen

other programs include audacity for VU Meter or you could look in sofware center for log Viewers

• But you answer supposes that I can hear the source. I'm guessing, but it seems Airtime is using Liquidsoap to ingest the stream not the Icecast server that is normally used for the output streams.

All normal Icecast documented methods to access the stream fail.
  • Then your Answer lies within your question.

"I realise the showmounts don't authenticate until the show starts (bonkers in my opinion) but the master source does."

The master is already authenticate against the sockets of the server

I've tried simply opening up the URL in a media player http://10.0.2.133:8006/livestream.ogg but it cannot connect.

Is asking the server on your side to  open a socket and prepare for a the feed.The server has not accepted the feed that is its not authenticated as yet

A good reference is the OSI Model to show you network interconnection. Its like the header was received but the http 200/ok has not occured.

Your only solution is to pipe the stream to a server Icecast/shoutcast and include it as a webstream

• Thanks for the points. That's a shame as I was hoping that I'd be able to hear the master (as it appears to connect, at least on the On-Air light of Airtime) before it went live. I suppose I can setup my own icecast server and simply relay the mountpoint to Airtime, bit of a pain though!
  • If you have an existing Icecast set up a separate mount like this

topic mount settings,
    you can give the dj seperate password[not your Icecast password] and just take that mount point and put it in webstream