Here is My setup,What is your Setup and How Can I improve mine?
  • Here is My setup

One Computer server with Airtime installed which can run unattended

I put in my calendar(schedule) to accept a custom or authenticated dj live(show) input so at anytime I can connect from anywhere .(For my live I have BUTT install on a net book.)

At the studio I use the Airtime Master  for my  6 hour show broadcast desk,so for my show I can connect and disconnect just by playing the same song on the calendar Now Playing so when the Main station (in another State) goes on commerical break I can disconnect (master) and Allow airtime to take over and rejoin at anytime.

The Main Station (transmitter) has a 15 seconds silence disconnect so by Airtime taking over there is no silence

My Broadcast Studio

Here are my connections

USB Mixer=> Encoder computer (with butt)(connected by USB) => Airtime =>External Public Streamer

Main laptop (USB) => Midicontroller (XLR) => USB Mixer(Channel INPUT) only use when I am at the broadcast desk Channel Line Input 6

USB Mixer is 1222USB with headphone amplifer attached to FX SEND for PFL. [AUX SEND] is reserved for Phone

Dj and Other live broadcast

Djs can now connect by SHOW Source - Already in Calendar - at anytime either by [MiXXX or Virtual DJ (VLAN) to My Lan network] or By Channel 7 on Mixer (the 2-track) if they are in the Studio

Advantages

I can connect any where with my mobile laptop via Master Source or Show Source - so if there is a breaking News,I can put it through or If the Dj is having problem on their end I can take over through the Master

Djs Do not need anyone in the studio ( I have a custom authentication setup also).I populate the calendar with either a webstream or playlist.Also there is a custom ls_script.

Notice I can disconnect the main laptop when there is no one in the studio  and have Airtime take over.

I find this more suitable than a itunes or other playlist method  and softwares used by most community radio.

What is your Setup and How Can I improve mine?

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Nice setup! I am very interested in your customised ls_script.liq! what did you tweak?

Our setup is a bit more complex, because we live-rebroadcast BBCWS via foobar2000 and have a custom solution for having day-to-day-eventtips, which delage/belveder imports/removes according to file-create-date/file-last-changed.

These are just two facts, that currently make it more complicated to completely switch to Airtime without anything in background.

Attached you can see the Audio-Documentation of our Station. I go in detail a little later.

cheers
    1844 x 2714 - 321K
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
    I want to anticipate, that a few limitations of Airtime force me to use our current setup.
    Some missing features for this situation are:
    - not being able to schedule exact to seconds HH:MM:SS
    - no physical Live-Input for Live-Studios & BBC-Rebroadcasting
    - no possibility to set expiration date for files or at least a "remove-after-X-times-played"-feature
    - copy show or schedule in repeat with dynamic playlists added automatically
    - 24/7-recording
    - Per-Show-Recording
    - Silence-Detection with Alarm to Mail

Our Situation:
    - Community Radio with a 4-headed Team and about 50 DJs.
    - Most of them are doing their Shows Live in our Studio, where nearby also the Airtime-Server is based.
    - Some Shows are prerecorded and delivered via ftp or personally and just a few Shows are made via ShowSource.
    - When presenting our RadioStation at Live-Events, we stream via ShowSource or MasterSource to Airtime.
    - Rebroadcasting from Shows from other austrian community radio stations, sometimes live too.
    - Rebroadcasting from BBC World Service via Satellite-Input live only about 11 times a day for 5 minutes.
    - For having the ability to use daily-updated eventtips, I use a mashup of SKTimestamp, belvedere, delage & foobar2000 on Windows.
    - We need to save the last 90 days of broadcast for law.
    - To avoid DJ's from hijacking Airtime from Studio, the Studio has to be switched On-Air/Off-Air automatically. (any DJ has a key to our studio and works unattendedly)

Our Audio-Setup (according to the attached picture):

Our AIRTIME is called RASTAMANN (RAdio STAtion MANager New) is Orange, receiving signals from
    - Remote DJs or Master Source at Events (green)
    - RASTAFRAU Shuffling-PC & BBC-Satellite-Input (red)
    - Live-Studio with Airmate-Mixer and Input-Sources (blue)

Airtime hands the signal to a Telekom Audio-Line which directs it to our Transmitter-Location a few kilometres away. There it passes a Silence-Detector, that switches to a Barix-Exstreamer reused as a Dead-Air-Player if there is no input-signal from telekom-side.
    The signal is directed to an Omnia FM-Audio-Processor and hands it on Output A to the FM-Transmitter and on Output B to a Laptop which does 24/7-Recording on hourly basis and hands the stream to our Icecast-Streaming-Provider.

That's it! Ten rows explain everything ;-)

Details:
    The most tricky parts are BBC-Rebroadcasting and our Eventtips-Arrangement.

We rebroadcast BBC World Service about 11 times a day, 1 time for 1 hour, ca. 10 times for 5 minutes.
    BBC News begins at one minute past any Top of the Hour. f.e. 10:01 am, 2:01 pm
    For having the ability to place Show- & Eventteaser before and after the BBC News,
    I scheduled some events in  foobar2000 to choose random files. This works on a basis of seconds.
    With Airtime you can point the duration of a Smart-Playlist just down to minutes.
    This, in combination with handling the streaming-delay leads me to mess around a lot to get it work.
    We get our BBC-Live-Feed directly from Eutelsat to a Technisat SAT-Receiver, connected through RCA with our Shuffling-PC called "RASTAFRAU" (RAdio STAtion Foobar Remote Access Unit ;-) )

The RASTAFRAU also does automatically rearrange all the playlists for the times, when nothing is programmed. Like a very intelligent SmartPlaylisting-Fallback, filling in Jingles, jumping from genre to genre, etc. It's like people could know it from RadioDJ or similar.
    I scheduled this in foobar2000 about two years ago, and this works so fluently.

Our Eventtips-Setup is really complex.
    We have programmed the Eventtips three times a day for 8 minutes. 8:07am, 12:07am, 5:07pm
    Since foobar2000 also cannot handle an expiration date for files I do a workaround with the File-Timestamps.
    This procedure is just done by our team, not by any DJ because it implies to be accurate.
    I created a Background-Music-Template (Atmo) for different Eventtips-Durations from 32 to 64 seconds.
    Any of these sound the same, except the length. It's like a long loop-session.
    If a team-member records his Eventtip, he just opens Audacity and places it in front of the template with the right duration.
    In this way, playing different eventtips in a row sounds like one long track with sometimes even different announcer. This sounds really nice and (semi)-professional ;-)
    After finishing the eventtip in Audacity the team-member places the files in a specified folder on a mapped network drive. After placing it there, he has to manipulate the Filestamp Create-Date-Time to the date he wants the Eventtip to be played on from.
    And the Last-Changed-Date-Time has to be changed to date on which the file should be played the last time. In this way no team-member has to take care of the Eventtips-Content.
    I use a delage-command for "importing" the files and Belveder for "exporting" files.
    foobar2000 imports only upto 7 minutes of Eventtips, if there are too less for 7mins, the playlist is filled up with austrian music.
    If there ain't any eventtips in the folder, just music is played.

When I started working for a Community Radio Station I just thought of bringing a little knowledge into it.
    But when I look at the facts nowadays, this is really a complex thing to handle.

1844 x 2714 - 321K
  • I think my organization is similar to Hoerich and I am looking at your setup to see if I can improve mine. We have a small administration group and about 40 shows in an FM campus/community station which has a physical studio and a remote transmitter.

Our current setup is below. stn and txer are linux PCs running Darkice and Icecast respectively. Centova is our stream multiplier for online listeners. You can see on txer that we loop back in order to do our audio logging for legal compliance. So far, all this is traditional radio without Airtime, just an Icecast based STL.

We decided to use Icecast as an STL instead of a leased line because of the low setup costs. Our studio has moved several times in the past 5 years so it's been an advantage to be able to jus tplug in at our new location and be back on air. We also considered microwave link. I figure microwave should be cheap and available given all the pirate radio that has happened in the UK. However, info has been hard to find and we need a line of sight which we don't really have.

To add Airtime, I'm considering either:
    1. Airtime analog out feeds into mixer at the studio
    2. Airtime replaced txer

The first case is very easy to understand for show hosts. Airtime is simply a fader and the host maintains full control of the sound. Show source can be done a long as that fader is up. When the studio is unattended, the fader is up. The music library hosted on the Airtime hardware is available to DJ software over the local network, no caching required. DJ software is how most live shows would play content from the library, keeping the workflow at the studio spontaneous.

The second case would replace txer hardware with the much more reliable server. I would assume that master source would be the studio but I don't know if we could do street reporting using this method because show source is dedicated to scheduled shows. One would have to disconnect the studio and connect the reporter. It does not seem elegant. Also the studio cannot monitor the output in realtime because of the latency.

So my plan is the first case, Airtime as an analog input at the studio.

I found it interesting in hoerich's setup that the web listeners get the content post-processing. Radio processing kills dynamics. If you sent the web stream pre-processing then online listeners should get better dynamic range, but it would be an inconsistent sound between FM and online.

One question hoerich, how does fubar2000 connect to Airtime? You have "webstream scheduling" on your diagram. What is that? If Airtime could schedule to the second, would you use Show Source to get your BBC and eventips into Airtime?

Nat
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca

I found it interesting in hoerich's setup that the web listeners get the content post-processing. Radio processing kills dynamics. If you sent the web stream pre-processing then online listeners should get better dynamic range, but it would be an inconsistent sound between FM and online.

One question hoerich, how does fubar2000 connect to Airtime? You have "webstream scheduling" on your diagram. What is that? If Airtime could schedule to the second, would you use Show Source to get your BBC and eventips into Airtime?

Nat

Hi Nat,
    we used an Icecast-based STL for 2 yrs, but have had regular problems. This is why we went onto a professional Telekom-STL.

Your note regarding our Icecast-Server sitting Post-Processing is really an import for me.
    I did not think of getting better dynamic range when placing it pre-processing.
    But I will look for a second output at the Silence-Detector and if available, grab the signal from there.

Our foobar2000-running-PC also hosts an Icecast-Server. It's a tiny rest of our last setup and should be obsolete and removed in near future.
    At this PC there are also running two Icecast-Clients forwarding the foobar2000's signal, butt & m3w.

1. m3w attempts to connect to Airtime as a Showsource every 2 seconds.
    If there's no Live- or Preproduced Show planned, we plan user-assigned Shows in Airtime, which receives the signal from foobar2000.
    If there is no Show scheduled for more than 45 secs, the Listener gets Music from the SilenceDetector.
    This means we fill our Airtime-Schedule 24hrs a day with no gaps.

2. butt streams to Icecast-Server at localhost.
    I created x Webstreams with different durations from 1min to 60min in Airtime-Library pointing to this mountpoint. This gives me the flexibility to also schedule this stream (foobar2000) within a playlist without having to assign a whole show.
    This stream is called our "DailyPlaylist" and is also the stream, which has to run at the PC in our Live-Studio for Safety Reasons.
    If we plan a Live-Show and the DJ doesn't appear at the studio, the listener doesn't notice, because the DailyPlaylist is forwarded.

What I want to change next is to get rid of the Icecast-Server on RASTAFRAU and do everything with the one of Airtime/Ubuntu.

Not being able to schedule exact to seconds means several workarounds for me:

1. We Live-Rebroadcast Shows from other Community-Radiostations and always add a "Rebroadcast-Intro" 11secs in front of such Shows and afterwards an Outro.
    If a show has to be rebroadcasted from 10:00 - 11:00, I now have to schedule the Show in Airtime from 09:59 - 11:01 and place some well-timed Jingles (49sec) then the Intro (11sec) and then place the Webstream. Same thing at the end of a show. To make it not too complicate I do not include streaming-delays here now.
    I face this problem about 12times a day!!!

2. It's also a problem in the Smart-Playlisting-Feature.
    Because of the first point I established a maximum duration of 45 seconds for Showjingles to be able to place them in such situations.
    Now we do have Showjingles from 15 - 45 seconds lenght, and Airtime is not able to time this that exactly. It always times for 1min and doesnt care about + or - a few seconds. But I do ;-)
    It should choose either one 45sec-JIngle or two 22 sec-Jingles...
    This reminds me of the topic "Instant-Play" or "Play-after-current-Track"

These two points answer Nat's question about the "Webstream Scheduling" in my diagramm.
    I deliver the DailyPlaylist in two ways, via ShowSource and via Webstream Scheduling in a Show.

cheers, hoerich
    Post edited by hoerich at 2013-06-27 04:41:28

I found out, that our Silence-Detector also has a secondary Output.
    I'm going to rearrange the setup and will connect the Icecast directly to the Silence Detector instead of Omnia.

Thanks for your hint, Nat