Why all good features are removed from 2.4 to 2.5 ?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Hi the team !

looking on the bugtracker I've seen a lot of features be moved from 2.4 to 2.5
    Why theses changes ?

thanks
  • 25 Comments sorted by
  • First things first? :)
    Post edited by Marcin Tym at 2013-04-30 04:28:19
  • Agree with Albert!

Don't postpone what we're waiting from a long time!

Alex

PS If the ability to copy a show and the ability to create a show with no specific template will be missing from 2.4 version, which are the features which will be present in the next version?
    Post edited by Alexandru Matei at 2013-04-30 05:15:03
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

PS If the ability to copy a show and the ability to create a show with no specific template will be missing from 2.4 version, which are the features which will be present in the next version?
    for example:
    Crossfading Tracks
    Monthly repeating shows could have 'same day of week' option
    Editing repeated show that was created in the past can be changed

I pray for: Record & broadcast scheduled shows, Fallback, Multiple Line-In-Support

but you can search for 2.4 concerning tickets on dev.sourcefabric.org on your own
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
    that's not the only ones @hoerich
    but a lot of needed features are reported to 2.5
    and repeating a show without content is not very useful... (not always, but ...)
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2013-04-30 06:17:16
    Albert, I also can't wait for these features and just gave Alexandru an answer.
    Maybe we should all donate a little more ;-)
    viva KickStarter :D
  • Hey guys,

We try and squeeze as many features as we can into every 3 month release. Anything that doesn't fit is pushed to the next release. For 2.4 you can expect:

-Opus support and unofficial AAC+ streaming support
    -Linked Shows
    -Set crossfades by dragging waveforms
    -General improvements such as bug fixes, interface tweaks etc.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • For my part the only item that I think is the highest priority is to fix the crossfade issue.  I am assuming that the "Set crossfades by dragging waveforms" will fix the "Nothing Scheduled" issue.
  • Marty! Great Scott!! Why aacplusenc as opposed to fdkaac? Weird timing? The Savonet Team just committed a hunka hunka burning ocaml-love about a week ago.

THANK YOU for making Opus a high priority! ^:)^

Hey guys,

We try and squeeze as many features as we can into every 3 month release. Anything that doesn't fit is pushed to the next release. For 2.4 you can expect:

-Opus support and unofficial AAC+ streaming support
    -Linked Shows
    -Set crossfades by dragging waveforms
    -General improvements such as bug fixes, interface tweaks etc.

• Glad to see your enthusiasm :) 

Regarding fdkaac vs aacplusenc. One is AAC and one is AAC+. For AAC, we are currently planning on using the vo-aac encoder since it is included in the official Debian repos, and therefore would be available as working out-of-the box after an Airtime install. AAC+ encoders are more tricky, and we will be providing a wiki how to enable this encoder - which includes some compiling. Sourcefabric cannot provide compiled packages for stuff like this unfortunately - as you're probably aware there are some sticky legal issues in a few countries.

• In summary, both AAC and AAC+ will be supported. AAC width vo-aac and AAC+ with aacplusenc.

vo-aac and fdkaac may be interchangeable, but I will have to verify that...

• Vote Up0Vote Down BartBart
    Why can understand this???
    Opus , which almost NOBODY is using, gets higher priority than a CRITICAL MISSING feature regarding the repeating shows.
    Repeating shows problem which MOST OF THE PEOPLE of airtime are using, does not get solved!?
    But we get interface tweaks...which also nobody requested...
    WTF!?

It's like saying: DO NOT USE AIRTIME! WE SUPPORT OPUS, BUT IT'S UNUSABLE ANYWAY

Schelstraete Bart - http://www.contact-dance.com
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    Hi everybody,

Just a reminder: Airtime is being developed by three very dedicated people in Toronto, namely Naomi, Denise and Martin (who is also spending most of his life in the forum, it seems :). Cliff is doing most of the testing. And some might have spoken to Josh, who is doing support. These people make Airtime happen. Airtime is not a galactic phenomenon that just happens, no, it is made by humans.

It makes me happy that over the past year more and more feature requests come from the community. To an extent, I am even glad to see frustration, because that means Airtime matters. Possibly we have to find a better way to get the community involved in the roadmap?

I also want to remind you that Airtime is free and open source. If you have a business using Airtime and make money using it, consider paying for features. That would benefit all.

Also, if you have development power, feel free to contribute that back into Airtime.

What is difficult for me to understand is the CAPITAL LETTER shouting. Feels to me like shouting at your parents for getting you the wrong birthday presents. As I said, we could work on a better way to open the roadmap to the community. Any ideas? My first thought: it shouldn't be about "who shouts the loudest gets the feature".

And please do not forget the appreciate the work the Toronto team is putting into Airtime. Being human, they react better to positive feedback than shouting, I am sure.
    Calm down, Bart! They do what they can...
    It looks like critical missing features are still in testing.
    And although just few users use Opus yet, supporting it is really a step into the future...
    On the other hand, maybe you could help developing Airtime or donate a litte instead of being angry...
    Greetz n all the best, hoerich
    All your sentences are also starting with CAPITAL LETTER. Are you now shouting to your parents for getting wrong birthday presents??
    it is open source, but I don't see a way to participate. And THAT is the power open source, that people can participate in the development. Not the "consider paying for features" way.
    Further more, the reason why people are pissed is because they first tag it for version 2.4, and then silently move it to 2.5. So big/major issues are just delayed till September, while they first 'promised' (else you won't tag it for 2.4!!!) it for April. And what will it be in September, they will tag it for version 3? And they will then maybe implement something new like...."popus"..which will maybe new in a few months, used by 0.00000000000001%  of the users worldwide.
    And I don't call this a feature! This is a must have, the thing regarding repeating shows. it's also flagged as "critical" and already pending for a few years and got the highest votes.

Post edited by Bart at 2013-05-01 10:47:55
  • Bart:

Dude, you seriously underestimate the importance of shipping 2.4 with Opus. Totally understand the frustration of watching goalposts move around. But... bundling a world-class OPEN codec officially released just about 6 months ago is nothing short of extraordinary.

If you're bored, how's about poking and prodding Apple + Google to see if they intend to add proper native/browser support to iOS7 and Jelly Bean. Mobile is the new transistor radio, ya'll. That's a fact!
    http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-4417        => Opec support, 0 votes

How much stations are now using Opus?
    And how much people will use opus with 2.4? If you see the *0* votes...not a lot I guess.
  • Bart: Right, so bro up, fork the code, and show us all ur l33t skillz.
  • Micz:

Hello! I know Albert is probably half joking, but a Kickstarter-ish element would be great! Maybe tie feature votes to a €/$ amount...?
  • Hi Bart,

Duplicate shows would definitely be a nice to have - and will most likely
    be the first thing we implement next version. Having said that, the reason
    why we didn't implement it this release, and did stuff like Opus instead is
    because duplicating shows is heavily tied to our show creation code which
    was in pretty bad shape. In this release we decided to rewrite/refactor
    that code and as a result 2.4 will also have show linking (show instances
    that are linked will have content replicated amongst them) - this show
    linking is still in the process of being polished.

Opus support on the other hand is something completely independent of the
    show creation code, and therefore could be worked on in parallel - copy and
    paste shows needs to wait for the show creation code to be completed (which
    it still isn't).

Hope that explains why we can't always work on features we want to. Not all
    tasks are parallelizable :)

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Roger Wilco <<br />airtime-dev@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> Micz:
    >
    > Hello! I know Albert is probably half joking, but a Kickstarter-ish
    > element would be great! Maybe tie feature votes to a €/$ amount...?
    >
    >
  • This is about where things start to go over my head. ;)

Poking around, this makes a reference to a linux module called libSBRenc.a. It's included along with the LC module too, isn't it? Or is that FhG's toll road?

In summary, both AAC and AAC+ will be supported. AAC width vo-aac and AAC+ with aacplusenc.

vo-aac and fdkaac may be interchangeable, but I will have to verify that...
  • Hi
    Just to complicate the discussion, is the problem where the "Nothing Scheduled" shows up between tracks fixed in 2.4?

Sorry for this post (an noise), i'm searching only to understand why
    Peoples be calm !
    it's just a discussion...
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2013-05-02 06:11:55

Micz:

Hello! I know Albert is probably half joking, but a Kickstarter-ish element would be great! Maybe tie feature votes to a €/$ amount...?

that's all true :D