Installation error on VPS
  • Hi:

So I tried to install the latest Newscoop on a new VPS with php 5.4.8 and I got too many errors. In some thread I read from the developers that Newscoop work out of the box in VPS machine but not in my case :#

First, I got a blank page when trying to install, I checked the error_log and saw a Smarty error etc. Somehow I could fix the error and finally got the install page to work.

Everything was installing and on the last page, when I clicked on the Administration icon, I got this error:

Error Report Error ID: 2048:Newscoop:4.0.2:Issue.php:1122 Error String: Declaration of Issue::create() should be compatible with DatabaseObject::create($p_values = NULL) Time: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:41:54 -0500 Backtrace: Admin_Bootstrap::{closure}() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/admin-files/init_content.php:3]require_once() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/admin-files/init_content.php:3]require_once() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/application/modules/admin/Bootstrap.php:74]Admin_Bootstrap::_initNewscoop() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:667]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::_executeResource() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:620]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::_bootstrap() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:584]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::bootstrap() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Resource/Modules.php:107]Zend_Application_Resource_Modules::init() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:681]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::_executeResource() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:624]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::_bootstrap() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php:584]Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract::bootstrap() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Application.php:355]Zend_Application::bootstrap() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/public/index.php:4]require_once() called at [/home/xxxx/public_html/index.php:12]
    Newscoop has encountered a problem.

Please take a minute to send us an email.

Simply copy and paste the error report below and send it to: newscoop-bug@sourcefabric.org.

Thank you.

So this error appeared when calling the /admin and in the frontend.

I checked again the error_log and I got things like this:

[08-Nov-2012 16:40:13 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method DB::connect() should not be called statically in /home/xxxx/public_html/db_connect.php on line 20
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:13 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method DB::parseDSN() should not be called statically in /home/xxxx/public_html/include/DB.php on line 520
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:13 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method DB::isError() should not be called statically in /home/xxxx/public_html/include/DB.php on line 557
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:13 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method PEAR::isError() should not be called statically in /home/xxxx/public_html/db_connect.php on line 21
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:13 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of Application_Plugin_CampPluginAutoload::dispatchLoopStartup() should be compatible with Zend_Controller_Plugin_Abstract::dispatchLoopStartup(Zend_Controller_Request_Abstract $request) in /home/xxxx/public_html/application/plugins/CampPluginAutoload.php on line 39
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:14 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Redefining already defined constructor for class XML_Parser in /home/xxxx/public_html/include/XML/Parser.php on line 227
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:14 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of XML_Parser::raiseError() should be compatible with & PEAR::raiseError($message = NULL, $code = NULL, $mode = NULL, $options = NULL, $userinfo = NULL, $error_class = NULL, $skipmsg = false) in /home/xxxx/public_html/include/XML/Parser.php on line 703
    [08-Nov-2012 16:40:14 America/New_York] PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of CampPlugin::create() should be compatible with DatabaseObject::create($p_values = NULL) in /home/xxxx/public_html/classes/CampPlugin.php on line 595
     ...etc etc..

Any help or guidance is appeciated.

Thank you!

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    check error_reporting in php.ini. It should be define like E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT  (for php 5.4.x)

also I recommend using vps with ubuntu 12.04.
  • Hi:

I have added:

E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT

to php.ini and errors have gone. I could get into admin and front end sections without problem.

I'm using CENTOS 6.3 x86_64, I will check if Ubuntu 12.04 is available with my provider.

By the way, one thing that I needed to do is to replace line 13 of install/classes/CampTemplate.php from:

require_once('smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php');
    to:
    require_once($GLOBALS['g_campsiteDir'].'/include/smarty/Smarty.class.php');

because with the original line I only get a blank page when trying the installation /: I got it working that way, Can you confirm that line is correct to change?

Thank you!

• Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    >
    > By the way, one thing that I needed to do is to replace line 13 of
    > install/classes/CampTemplate.php from:
    >
    > *require_once('smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php');*
    > to:
    > require_once($GLOBALS['g_campsiteDir'].'/include/smarty/Smarty.class.php');
    >
    > because with the original line I only get a blank page when trying the
    > installation /: I got it working that way, Can you confirm that line is
    > correct to change?
    >
    > You have missed the symlink for libs folder when you extracted files form
    tarball. That's why you had to hack the code.
  • hi, if you've managed to install it's ok. we will address this issue in next bugfix release