AutoDJ unless I say otherwise?
  • Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right place for a feature request!

We run a radio station, which is based from a home studio, and we have a backup stream from another location (so if the main studio is down for any reason, the backup stream kicks in so no dead air)

As such, the backup stream is manly used as an autoDJ feature. Would it be possible to have an option to play autoDJ unless any other playlist is scheduled? I know i can create a 24 hour smart playlist that achieves a similar thing and then have it load a different 24 hour playlist etc... and so on, but this isn't ideal (especially as you can't have shows over 24 hours long!)

Have to say though, love the improvements since I last looked at AirTime, especially being able to add tracks whilst a show is on air, and the speed improvements!
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Basically you are asking if Master Source can be a backed up to Scheduled Play source?

If so, then we don't support this yet. It would be nice if the priorities of these sources could be changed so that so you could decide which source is a fallback to another.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • I think he basically means a fallback playlist
  • Forgive me, let's strip out the background of my current setup.

The root question is; Can Airtime AutoDJ unless something else is scheduled? (eg: No show in the schedule=fully automated AutoDJ)

Many thanks
    Iain

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2012-10-28 11:30:41
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    afaik, in combination with an customized liquidsoap-script, airtime can do this.
    search for "fallback" in forum or ggl
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Cheers I'll wander off and have a look!
  • Hmm...  I've had a look, and I can see how I can schedule some autoDJ sections as per this thread but this isn't what I want, (and I believe this feature is now in Airtime anyway with smart playlists)

I don't want to have to schedule autoDJ, I want to schedule shows, knowing that if nothing is scheduled then AutoDJ will kick in automatically.
  • I'm in the same boat - running a music streaming station and would like to schedule shows, and have a default playlist that automatically plays if nothing is scheduled.
  • Smart Blocks dont solve this. It really sounds like you want a "Fallback" playlist. To my understanding fallback playlists are planned for a future release.
  • If the "fallback" playlist was just a random selection of songs interspersed with jingles (Like desktop software provides) then this is exactly what I'm after.

If the fallback playlist has to be made in advance, then we're still looking for a solution.
  • I've done exactly this, not tested completely but I have been using Liquidsoap for a fully automated radio stream for a few years now and I wanted to add this to Airtime so I got the easy scheduling combined with full automation.
    I recommend looking at the liquidsoap documentation to get a better idea about how it works.

How I do it:

Before "if output_sound_device then" in /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap_scripts/ls_script.liq (line 277) add the following:

# make scheduled stream invalid if no audio playing (for 3 seconds)
    s = strip_blank(mksafe(s), length=3., threshold=-50) 

# random playlist, reloaded every minute. Look at the documentation of Liquidsoap for more sources of audio as this could be another icecast stream, different playlists at different times of day etc
    auto = playlist(reload = 1, "/path/to/root/of/music/folder") 

# make playlist play if scheduled stream invalid
    s = fallback(track_sensitive=false, [ s, auto]) 

I have yet to put this into production but it seems to work on my test box.
    Post edited by aukondk at 2012-11-15 03:49:51
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    you can find a lot of ls_script.liq modifications on this forum
    try them ;-)