vps crashing
  • hi all

currently we have 4 sites - 2 are NS 3.4.3 - 1 is NS 3.5.5 - 1 is ns 4.0.0

every few days the vps is crashing so have contacted the host and they have said:

The server did not completely crash like it had been with the memory at 32mb, but some scripts running on the box needed more memory, so we upped it to 64mb, then it crashed.

There is no error, the server is simply running out of memory

each site basically runs newscoop - openx ad system and a small directory script

is their an optimum memory its meant to be at or any thoughts as to what is happening

cheers
    Post edited by mark casson at 2012-07-12 05:42:47
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    it's abnormal situation. In your case 4gb ram should be enough. Make sure that apc isn't installed. This is buggy in 64-bit environment. Use xcache instead.
  • our vps only has 512 - does that mean i need to upgrade to 4gb
    you can try 2Gb ram. Tune up the mysql settings to use more memory for buffers since default mysql conf file is not optimal
  • my host only has options for

any suggestions - as you have answered a million of my questions before - i dont know anything about servers and these guys seem ok messing with the settings for me so would rather stay but the 1024mb version works at around £400 a year - most of my hosting budget
    I guess the best newscoop hosting you can find from Sourcefabric ;)

www.newscoop.pro

Also you can find cheap vps from Hetzner: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq19

• would love to let you host it but thats way out of my league

our sites are free news sites so have very limited income

might have to revert back to NS 3.5.5
  • is it even worth trying to upgrade to the 1024mb server or will it still crash

each site only gets 15k visits with 150,000 page views each per month so they are now enormouse sites
    well, some time ago I had installed newscoop sites on vps with 256mb and it was working well under low load. Any way I suggest using max option (1G)