Problem creating users in Newscoop 4.0
  • Hi all,

I have a problem creating new users via Manage Users -> Create new account. Can fill in the details and save, but system doesn't save the user, but instead says User "" created. When check via Manage Users it turns out there's no new user created. When I try it again, the system says User already exists. How to solve this as I can't find the username anywhere in the mangament part of the site?

Thanks in advance.
  • 15 Comments sorted by
  • Update: sometimes I can create a user, but then the username is being shortend to - for example - p. Just that, instead of Peter. Most of the times though a user isn't created. I can't seem to figure out what triggers the system to shorten the username and why the system won't let me create new users.
  • Hey, this is a strange behavior. Is it happening since you first installed 4.0 or it started after some time ?
    I cannot think of any reason for this, some platform specific issue perhaps, as there are multiple other users using 4.0 and we haven't been reported such a problem.

Have you tried installing another instance in the same machine to see if the same issue shows up ?
  • This happened just after I installed 4.0, literally within hours. How can I install another instance? Since I am on virtual hosting I cannot physically use another machine to test a new installation. Or is there a way around doing this?

I also checked the MySQL database via PHPMyAdmin and it seems the 'lost' users aren't even in the database.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    you can install newscoop in subfolder
  • Okay, I will try to install it in a subfolder to see whether it works or not. I assume that I have to create a new MySQL-database and not use the old one?
    please create new db
  • Will do. I will see if this fixes the problem.
  • Installed Newscoop 4.0.1 in a subdirectory, created a new database. Still, I'm not able to create new users. I experienced the same problems as before. Seems like there's some sort of bug?
    it seems like mysql incompatible issue. You can enable mysql logging. Try to add new user and find in the log the the result of execution of insert sql statement.
  • I'm on MySQL 5.1.47. I'm on shared hosting, so it seems I can't enable logging (or I don't know how to enable it in PHPMyADmin). Is there any other way to check whether it's an incompatiblity issue?
    try these statements manually via phpmyadmin (run all at once via sql window):
    start transaction;
    INSERT INTO acl_role (id) VALUES (null);
    INSERT INTO liveuser_users (EMail, UName, Password, Name, last_name, time_created, time_updated, status, is_admin, is_public, points, image, role_id, subscriber, author_id) VALUES ('test@localhost.com', 'test111', 'sha1$VYRZIT1O1ZuX$038190f43e821fef3f8c47323621432247617f80', 'test111', 'test111', '2012-06-20 20:17:14', '2012-06-20 20:17:14', '1', '0', '1', 0, NULL, 51, NULL, NULL);
    INSERT INTO liveuser_groupusers (perm_user_id, group_id) VALUES ('64', '1');
    commit;
  • This is the result:

START transaction;# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).
    INSERT INTO acl_role( id )
    VALUES ( NULL );# Affected rows: 1
    INSERT INTO liveuser_users( EMail, UName,
    PASSWORD , Name, last_name, time_created, time_updated,
    STATUS , is_admin, is_public, points, image, role_id, subscriber, author_id )
    VALUES ( 'test@localhost.com', 'test111', 'sha1$VYRZIT1O1ZuX$038190f43e821fef3f8c47323621432247617f80', 'test111', 'test111', '2012-06-20 20:17:14', '2012-06-20 20:17:14', '1', '0', '1', 0, NULL , 51, NULL , NULL );# Affected rows: 1
    INSERT INTO liveuser_groupusers( perm_user_id, group_id )
    VALUES ( '64', '1');# Affected rows: 1
    COMMIT ;# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).

• Perhaps I should mention that I can see the new user (test111) in the Manage Users part. Clicking on that entry renders an error though. It says application error and displays nothing but this error message.
    I recommend using vps instead of shared hosting. It seems a hosting specific issue.
  • I'm having this exact problem as well, on a dedicated host. Was there ever a solution to this?