Trying to get ip address to work
  • Hi I believe that I've gotten booktype to work (at least I've gotten through all the installation steps and all I see are deprecation warnings).

I've gotten up to the final step highlighted in the installation guide (django-admin runserver with my public ip address) however when I go to the address nothing is there (ie in chrome I just get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to....etc)

I am not super familiar with SSH/linux (I understand the steps are installing things, but I am not familiar with all the software it is installing and how it all fits together) so I don't know if there is anything additional I need to be doing? 

Trying to install this on a website with a LAMP stack, I did the wsgi steps though I am not sure what to change the server name to....however I am still getting the "server is running at (ip address):8000" but nothing happens when I go there...
    any and all help would be appreciated.
    Post edited by Benjamin Santiago at 2012-06-05 15:47:46
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Are you trying to make it work with apache (wsgi steps) or with python built in server (django-admin runserver part)? You really should use just one method. You can run it with built in web server, apache2 or nginx.

You mentioned "server is running at" so let's say you want to do it with built in python server. In that case there is no need for any apache configuration or wsgi stuff. All you need to do is [i will use example ip 64.22.124.65] 1) load environment variables 2) django-admin.py runserver 64.22.124.65:8000 3) go with browser to http://64.22.124.65:8000. You must use the exact ip you used in runserver. This is much easier method but it is more for developement (good for smaller sites also). If it does not work then you should check if you can access that ip at all or something...

If you want to do it over apache you have to do couple of steps. In your case you want to run it on port 8000. You have to tell apache to listen on port 8000 (on debian/ubuntu it would be /etc/apache2/ports.conf file). Then you have to configure your virtual host on port 8000 (Booktype apache2 config file assumes it is port 80), say ServerName (whatever is your hostname... this is just in case you have more then one web site on port 8000 really) and etc...
  • looks like I did all the steps correctly (doing the apache version) but now at the address I wanted to run it at (mywebsite.com/booktype...getting the same at ipaddress/booktype) I am getting a 500 Internal Server Error, is there anything that might cause that?
  • Check the error logs of the Apache to see if there is anything there and post the results here.