Is there a way to install Booktype on a Mac running Lion?
  • Hi everyone,

I have been looking for ebook publishing software and it seems as if Booktype could do what I want it to do. However, I am not on a Debian/Ubuntu system. Yep, I have fallen for the Mac many moons ago and have little or no experience making things work beyond Mac installers. This means I am positively daunted by the process for installation that is shown on the website. Is there a way to install Booktype on a Mac? Who can help me out?
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • As far as I can tell it is possible.
    Just install Python and make apache (already on the OSX Lion) use wsgi.
    I am in the testing phase of that idea and will try to post success or failure as soon as possible :)
  • Let me correct my previous statement.
    You can do it without Apache or Nginx and I would (well am) go that way first.
    For the needed tools I'm using Homebrew (instead of MacPorts) and I had to manually install Redis server,
    but I got some errors when starting Django.

Oh, BTW when you install Django (using easy_install) you'll get version 1.4. You can check the Forum to see what you need to change in settings.py or use easy_install django=1.3.1 to install the previous version.
  • Let me correct my previous statement.
    You can do it without Apache or Nginx and I would (well am) go that way first.
    For the needed tools I'm using Homebrew (instead of MacPorts) and I had to manually install Redis server,
    but I got some errors when starting Django.

Oh, BTW when you install Django (using easy_install) you'll get version 1.4. You can check the Forum to see what you need to change in settings.py or use easy_install django=1.3.1 to install the previous version.
  • Something obviously went wrong while I posted previous reply .. sigh.
    Anyway - I've come to the attached problem when I start django admin. It works without a problem on Ubuntu.
    1103 x 575 - 211K
  • Finally found some time to play with the error in previous post.
    Looks like you need to add 2 directories to the TEMPLATE_DIRS in settings.py (one for ..portal/templates and one for .../account/templates/ which are in the Booktype directory (just search for html shown in the error message).

• Did a clean installation again and tried to use Django 1.4 works perfectly on Mac OSX and on Ubuntu.
    So yes, it is possible to install on the Mac OSX.

Is there a need for a manual to do that?
  • Let me tell you a little secret.... It is being developed on Mac OSX :) What version of OSX you have? Django 1.4 will not work on Python 2.6.1 which comes with Snow Leopard. Needs 2.6.5 or more because now argument keys can be unicode. Anyhoo, it would be awesome if you could write instructions using Homebrew and etc... How did you install Booktype, from git or something else? Also... there is another component called Objavi. It is much more complex to install but it would be awesome if you could also try that :) If you decide to do that, contact me over email first because instructions are not complete at the moment.
  • Hi Aleksandar,

I use Python 2.7.3 and Booktype from git so no problems here :)
    I'll check what I did in Hombrew front and post instructions for that.

Regarding Objavi.. I was under the impression it is part of the Booktype? Anyway, I will contact you via email (name.surname@sourcefabric.net?) and test it.
    Post edited by Boštjan Jerko at 2012-06-16 18:38:19
  • The Hombrew thing is actually very simple. You need to make installation of Hombrew according to manual on this page
    After that you just need to install redis-server as brew install redis and that is that.
    Hope I didn't miss something :)