Feature request: show uploaded files that cannot be played by Liquidsoap
  • Martin told me that Airtime 2.1.0 validates files imported into the media library to prevent Liquidsoap playback problems (in another thread). In particular, I had problems with mono recordings because Airtime expected stereo encoding. The validation process failed in Add Media and the media-monitor log showed warnings that the files were not added to the media library, but the web interface did not tell me about these failed files. I would like to see which files did not make it to the media libary and, if possible, a reasonable explanation as to what the problem was - this part is probably just a bug report because that is expected behavior.

This leads me the feature request, I would like a way to remove these files from the uploaded folder (by default they are in /srv/airtime/stor/imported) so I can attempt to fix the problems and re-upload them. As it is now, if I fix the files and try to re-upload them I get a duplicate file error and the upload fails. One possible way to do this is to allow these problem files to be added to the media library, but tag them as unplayable by liquidsoap and prevent them from being added to a playlist (and show). Then add a command in the Playlist Builder to remove/delete the selected file(s). Another useful feature for this scenario would be to be able to only show files that have problems so we don't have to look through a list of thousands of files scanning for them.

Another possibility to help find these problem files is to create a separate folder for them so they never get added to the 'imported' folder. Instead, transfer them directly from 'organize' to 'problems'. This might make removing them easier and streamline the re-upload process.
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • This will be very important during an upgrade (as opposed to a minimal or full install) because the media files will already be in the media folder. It might be a good idea to pull media files out of the 'imported' folder to another folder if Liquidsoap determines that it cannot open them because they really are not available in the media library and will not (or should not) be listed in the Playlist Builder.
  • I would like to see which files did not make it to the media libary and, if possible, a reasonable explanation as to what the problem was - this part is probably just a bug report because that is expected behavior. 

This was the original goal. but we were so close to the feature cut-off point, we just logged the problems in the log file. Our justification was that this is still an improvement. Airtime 2.2 should have a much better system for this.

Another possibility to help find these problem files is to create a separate folder for them so they never get added to the 'imported' folder. Instead, transfer them directly from 'organize' to 'problems'.

This is a great idea, and it should be a very quick change. I will make sure to implement this.

This will be very important during an upgrade (as opposed to a minimal or full install) because the media files will already be in the media folder. It might be a good idea to pull media files out of the 'imported' folder to another folder if Liquidsoap determines that it cannot open

I was thinking wondering what to do about upgrades with this. Problem is that playlists may already be created. Should I modify those playlists? Something to think about...
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • You could leave the files in the playlist, perhaps marking them in some fashion, and skip over them if Liquidsoap determines they cannot be opened. The marking could give the person who made the playlist a visual cue to help them identify and remove potential problems.
  • Hi Wade,

Unfortunately we didn't have time to squeeze this into the RC/final (as you can see we are already a little past our May 22nd target date). This is something we may look into for 2.1.1.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks for the update, Martin - I'm happy you are looking at incorporating the requests for a future release :)