Airtime 2.1 Beta5
  • http://sourceforge.net/projects/airtime/files/2.1.0-beta5/

Its only beta but we feel very confident with this latest beta. Many bug fixes since the last release and upgrade scripts should now be complete - although we still recommend you do a backup first of course :)

As usual, do your best to break it. We have a few bugs left to squash, and should have an RC very soon!
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • This time I decided to upgrade from beta 4 to beta 5 (rather than uninstalling and installing anew). I looked up the instructions on the sourcefabric wiki. Following the instructions, I backed up my postgres database, installed dependencies, downloaded beta 5. I already have a directory called ~/airtime-2.1.0 and I didn't want to overwrite it, so I copied the beta 5 tarball into my Public directory and ran tar xzvf airtime-2.1.0-beta5.tar.gz there.

This created the airtime-2.1.0 folder in my Public folder - so far so good. I was ready to start the upgrade (according to step 4 of the wiki instructions), but could not cd to ./airtime-2.1.0/airtime/install_minimal because the intermediate folder 'airtime' does not exist. The correct directory to change to is now ./airtime-2.1.0/install_minimal (this should be corrected in the wiki instructions).

The upgrade started and then failed with the message:
    * Checking for existing Airtime installation...
     * Same version of Airtime already installed!

Upgrading is not possible. So I went back to my previous strategy and uninstalled Airtime and did a new installation. Of course, this means I had to repopulate the database with the media. Knowing that this could take a substantial amount of time, I switched my stream to a backup server to avoid dead air while I brought up beta 5.
  • Just to see what would happen, I decided to try to enable the stream while Airtime was importing the media. I knew this would have problems because the default action in ls_script.liq (which I modified) was to play a randomized selection of songs from a playlist. The playlist exists, the media exists, but the database is being filled. Strangely, the 'Streams' would not connect with the radio while the media was being imported. All it said was "Getting information from the server". Apparently, it does not multitask well because the stream never started. I tried restarting it manually with 'sudo service airtime-playout restart' but liquidsoap never started. I looked at the ls_script.log file and saw that tried to connect and then shutdown. Oh well, I wasn't really expecting much until the library was finished importing anyway.
  • > * Same version of Airtime already installed! 

Upgrades will only work from previous released versions of Airtime, not from previous beta versions. In this case you can simply do "airtime-install -r"

> All it said was "Getting information from the server". Apparently, it does not multitask well because thestream never started. I tried restarting it manually with 'sudo service airtime-playout restart' but liquidsoap never started. I looked at the ls_script.log file and saw that tried to connect and then shutdown. Oh well, I wasn't really expecting much until the library was finished importing anyway.

These two should multitask well because they are in fact separate processes! The problem must be unrelated to the library importing. Was there any more information about why Liquidsoap failed to connect to your stream server?
  • I didn't do much more testing on that because when the import finished I switched the stream back and it ran. I think I might have encountered a race condition in which the radio was still receiving packets from the secondary server while I tried to connect with the primary server. This is possible because my broadcast website is several thousand miles away and all those packets have to go across the North American continent and then under the Atlantic ocean.
  • >  I think I might have encountered a race condition in which the radio was still receiving packets from the secondary server while I tried to connect with the primary server. 

This sounds likely :)
  • We have some Internal Error on /check-builder-feed and /builder-feed

Mabye i will have a look at the code