Airtime to listen2myradio
  • Airtime appears to be On Air (image has a red background) when the scheduled playlist is in the right time slot, but in the System->Stream Settings I see an error message: Can not connect to the streaming server 'bad answer'. The listen2myradio server is Shoutcast 1 so I set up the stream type as mp3/128kbits. The server address and port are correct and I set my password in the Additional Options. I'm using Airtime 2.0.2 on an Ubuntu 10.04 server.

I know that Liquidsoap can stream to the server because I have run it from the command line feeding it my own .liq script. I don't know enough about the Airtime internals to guess which script it is feeding to Liquidsoap. I examined the liquidsoap log (sudo airtime-log -v liquidsoap) and found the following relevant entries:
    2012/03/24 10:20:17 [shoutcast_stream_1:3] Connecting mount / for source@'my radio's IP'...
    2012/03/24 10:20:18 [shoutcast_stream_1:2] Connection failed: bad answer

Then pypo sends a notification about the 'bad answer', liquidsoap attempts to reconnect (in 5 seconds) and the process repeats indefinitely.

I am listening to the stream now (using the command line to run liquidsoap with my .liq script), but I would love to use Airtime because of the scheduler and flexibility in using multiple playlists. 
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • Hi,

I would first check that the shoutcast settings are what you expect in the auto generated /etc/airtime/liquid soap.cfg file.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks, Martin!

Everything looks reasonable except for the s1_mount = "airtime_128". I think that should either be blank or "/". The file header says that it is auto-generated and should not be modified. Do you know where I can change the mount point?
  • Actually you can ignore the mount setting since, it's not used for shoutcast.

Not sure what could be causing the "bad answer" response. Are you sure a source isn't already connected to your server's shoutcast mount? 

Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • There is one connected now because I don't want to take the radio down until I have Airtime running correctly. I stopped the liquidsoap stream before I tested Airtime. I'll try turning the radio off and then back on from its control panel - perhaps it is trying to persist the stream for a while after it stops. I'll try that in a few hours and message back what happens.
  • I had to wait a few minutes for the radio to stop broadcasting, but once it did I was able to connect to it using Airtime! I'm putting together my shows now and broadcasting random selections when no shows are scheduled. Next I will look at doing a live show and adding some jingles. So far, so good :)
  • I found the setting for the default playback (a kind of low volume background hiss) when no show is scheduled in ls_script.liq in the two lines starting with 'default = '. Using a suggestion I found in an old forum post here, I modified that to play randomly selected music from '/srv/airtime/stor' (the default music directory). This works very well, but the Airtime GUI does not show what the default playback is nor does it allow me to modify it. It would be very useful to see what is currently playing even if it is not part of a scheduled show.

Here's what I did:
    1. cp ls_script.liq ls_script.liq.original
    2. commented the two 'default = ' lines:
    #default = amplify(0.00001, noise())
    #default = rewrite_metadata([("artist","Airtime"), ("title", "offline")],default)

3. added in the random song selection playlist
    default = playlist(mode='random', "/srv/airtime/stor")

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple crossfader for the random song playlist? I think I know how to do one, but I would like to hear what others have done.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    You have a lot of examples on this forum ;)

search : ls_script.liq