Icecast related - Source Buffer
  • Hi everyone,

We have just started our effort of building a fully open source based radio station with Airtime, Icecast and Mixxx for broadcasting the live shows.
    The setup is simple, a VPS running Airtime on a fallback mount and Icecast, and producers connect on the live stream for their shows. The problem is that some of them have crappy ISPs and their connection keeps lagging. I have tried all the settings available in the icecast.xml to increase the buffer, but of course as it is expected, this only affects the buffer of the listeners, and not the buffer of the source to the server. Is there a setting or an alternative approach to solve this problem.
    I have found no viable solution in mixxx or icecast. I am now on your hands!

Aris
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I don't really know mixxx, but with darkice/darksnow for example you can choose your buffer size
    but it's only available on unix systems like linux, bsd, os X ...
  • I was thinking of modifying libshout on the Icecast server to change the buffer size. I am not sure however if that is actually even possible. Unfortunately a few of the producers are using Windows and are not what you would call "computer experts" so I would like to keep them out of it and make all the necessary adjustments on the server side.
    I know it's too much to ask... but I haven't lost hope yet!
    I'm thinking VLC can do that, but i'm not a VLC expert
  • I have just found this method for increasing the TCP buffer. Could this solve the problems?
    no
  • Well it appears that the problem is mixxx related and has nothing to do with Icecast nor the server.
    The same producer has had no issues with SAM Broadcaster so problem partially solved!