Localization
  • Hi,

There is a need to make a Finnish localization of Booktype. What is the correct method to do this? Basically it doesn't have so many strings to translate so you could easily even write them straight into the templates, but that kind of a thing is very painful when you need to update the code.

Regards
    Tomi
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adamadam
    hi Tomi,

There is a selftranslate extension that runs as a Django App. You can get it here:

Its very easy to install and to use. I think there might be some strings that are not using the correct translate syntax - if you catch them please make a pull request.

adam
  • Hi, if I make a Finnish version of the localization file (https://github.com/sourcefabric/Booktype/blob/booktype-1.5.3/lib/booki/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/django.po) is it possible that you distribute it with Booktype?

I don't really need to do this for the Finnish FM, it was easier to just translate the templates since they were changed a bit anyhow. But it would be easy to make a fi_FI localization file if it will be distributed with Booktype.
  • Like can you take it from here: https://gist.github.com/2385458
    Post edited by Tomi Toivio at 2012-04-14 12:13:49
  • Hey,

I finally took into use the localization file instead of translated templates. It works properly, but I noticed that some strings are still missing.

So one of these days I am going to add the missing strings to the localization file. Gotta remember to submit it upstream, or else everybody translating Booktype has to do the same thing again... And again... And again... ;)

Regards
    Tomi
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adamadam
    cool! we are going to set up a central translation www soon...

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Tomi Toivio <<br />booktype-dev@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> Hey,
    >
    > I finally took into use the localization file instead of translated
    > templates. It works properly, but I noticed that some strings are still
    > missing.
    >
    > So one of these days I am going to add the missing strings to the
    > localization file. Gotta remember to submit it upstream, or else everybody
    > translating Booktype has to do the same thing again... And again... And
    > again... ;)
    >
    > Regards
    > Tomi
    >
    >
  • I will update the Finnish localization file soon. Did you set up some kind of a translation center already? It is more fun to use something like Transifex for localization...