New "Scream" template - feedback please
  • “Scream” is a work-in-progress template design that aims to help an online newspaper to more closely resemble a real-world newspaper. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I think I should stress that I’m designing and not coding this template. That would be done by the geniuses at Sourcefabric.

Why more like a real-world paper? Because personally I find quite a few online newspapers confusing and difficult to navigate. A typical front page may offer a vast array of equally weighted stories leaving me with too many options on where to start... and after I’ve read a story, where to go next.

So I’ve just put the top story on the front page and done away with the dedicated section page. All the other stories in the section are listed in the contents bar on the right of the page, with the currently viewed story highlighted. Viewed stories are marked with an eye icon and the reader can mark interesting stories with a star icon. It would be the job of the editor to arrange the order of the stories in the contents bar just like the order of stories in a paper newspaper.

There are tabs underneath the main header for switching from section to section. Change, for example, to the articles section and the contents bar displays the contents of the articles section.

The Columnist section is set up for shorter stories/comments all on the same page. Again, just like a paper newspaper.

You see those tabs to the right of the main header, “Lifestyle” and “Sport”?

They are meant to be like the free supplement magazines or pullouts in a paper newspaper. I’ve included a page from “Lifestyle” showing the different colour scheme and more chatty and light style. Hopefully the reader will feel like “I’ve had enough news - lets have a look at the telly mag/funnies etc”.

Thanks for reading,
    Peter Bradley
    960 x 1364 - 832K
    960 x 1644 - 1M
    960 x 1688 - 896K
    960 x 1282 - 488K
    960 x 1958 - 1M
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • Hey Peter,

Really great to see such a well thought-out theme! Have you considered entering it in our open theme contest?

We've promised to select at least one template (perhaps more) and buy it for 600 EUR. We'll then convert it into a functioning Newscoop theme ready for the Newscoop 4.0 release.

Keep up the good work!

Best Adam
    Post edited by Adam Thomas at 2012-01-11 08:21:53