Newscoop 4.0 beta released today!
  • Hi everyone,

We're very happy to announce that Newscoop 4.0 beta is ready for download and testing!

Newscoop 4.0 builds in an all new community management feature-set, totally overhauls the look and feel of your site with Themes and adds great extra functionality for ordering, connecting and displaying articles. Add to this lots of bug fixes and performance tweaks and we can safely say this is one of our most impressive releases yet.

As you know, the term 'beta' means it's not 100% ready (so no installing on productions servers please!). And here's where you awesome testers come in. By checking out the wiki, installing, testing and reporting bugs, you'll not only be helping our development team, but also the hundreds of independent news sites that rely on Newscoop.

So, thank you to everyone who helped us get this beta release out there, and thanks in advance for helping us to perfect it. A huge congratulations to the Newscoop team too, it's been a huge effort to pull this together.

You can report bugs direct to the developers in this Newscoop Dev forum - please create a new thread for each bug.

Without further ado... check out the features and download Newscoop 4.0 beta!

Best wishes, Adam
    Post edited by Adam Thomas at 2012-01-12 05:48:54
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks to all those that downloaded and gave us feedback on the first beta of this landmark Newscoop release. Your suggestions and diligent bug-hunting has all been rolled into the next package Newscoop 4.0 Beta2 which is up now on sourceforge.net for download.

Here's the new features we need your help to test (and installation instructions) or if you prefer to head straight to the download, go for it

Let us know how you get on!

Best, Adam

• Vote Up0Vote Down Jakub GórnickiJakub Górnicki
    Downloaded and installing - can't wait to play with it. Kudos to our developers!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Sava TatićSava Tatić
    A brief note: this is a very solid beta. If you are considering or in the middle of implementing a Newscoop project, this is the version to go for.

Sava
  • with the current version, am having problems after installing with logging in. I hope this is resolved in this one!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Jakub GórnickiJakub Górnicki
    Reply to @klyop: great! come back and share your thoughts here!
  • I can't run after installation
    I get this message:
    Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /var/www/vhosts/xxxx.es/proba/application.php on line 52

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /var/www/vhosts/xxxx.es/proba/application.php on line 55

Can this be a permissions problem?
    Thanks
  • Hi, Antoni

I encountered the same problem.
    Use PHP 5.3 or higher.
    #It seems that namespace introduced by PHP 5.3 is used.

Best regards

• Hi Adam,

I just have found a problem.

I have installed 4.0 beta2 with sample publication.
    It seemed to work correctly, but no pictures were displayed.

I get the error message:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function apache_request_headers() in /********/newscoop4/template_engine/classes/CampGetImage.php on line 572

My server's environment is CGI mode, not mod_php.
    I avoided this problem with an attached patch.
    I hope this problem is cleared.

Thanks

• Hi,

Does 3.5.3 templates work on 4.0? I am using a modified verson of Zen.

Thanks,
    Rodrigo
  • Hi Rodrigo,

The templates in 3.5.3 were replaced by Themes in 4.0, but the upgrade script should take care of the conversion. We recommend to run a test upgrade in a separate instance, not directly in your production site. We would be glad getting news on how it went.

All Best,