Airtime on low-power computer (NSLU2 etc.)
  • The NSLU2 is a low-power NAS originally, but it runs Debian and so I thought I'd try to install Airtime on it.
    I've later found that 1GHz is recommended for Airtime and the NSLU2 only has 266MHz.

Installation went without problems (1.9.5) but when trying to access the administation page for Airtime, it takes ages to load the login screen and after that I get a PHP error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Zend_Session_Exception' with message
    'Zend_Session::start() -
    /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Session.php(Line:480): Error #2
    session_start(): Function spl_autoload_call() hasn't defined the class
    it was called for Array' in
    /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Session.php:493
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Session/Namespace.php(143):
    Zend_Session::start(true)
    #1 /usr/share/airtime/application/models/Preference.php(68):
    Zend_Session_Namespace->__construct('title_name')
    #2 /usr/share/airtime/application/Bootstrap.php(90):
    Application_Model_Preference::GetHeadTitle()
    /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(665):
    Bootstrap->_initTitle()
    /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(618):

Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_executeResource('title')

/usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(582):
    Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_bootstrap(NULL)
    #6 /us in /usr/share/airtime/library/Zend/Session.php on line 493

I know there's no native ARM support for Airtime and the hardware on the NSLU2 is not very strong, but is it entirely unfeasable to run a test radio station on it with Airtime?

Thanks in advance!
    Post edited by Joakim Lindskog at 2011-11-23 10:45:58
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    1ghz is required by liquidsoap to encode streams. I have tried to run on Amazon micro instance but Airtime works very unstable. Even if you start php stuff successfully you will have a problem with liquidsoap
  • It would be interesting to see if it runs....the bigger limit in my opinion is memory...that and I wouldn't recommend running multiple icecast streams due to the low CPU specs.

Anyway since it's an ARM architecture there is a part of Airtime called Liquidsoap (responsible for actually playing the audio files) that you will need to compile yourself since we only provide i386 and amd64 binaries. We have a wiki for it here, I'd recommend you follow that and see how it goes:

BTW the problem you posted above is an unrelated matter.....what version of Debian are you running on your box? Have you tried running airtime-check-system?
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro