Live Soundcard Inputs
  • I am new to using Airtime - loving the features so far!

One thing I would love to be able to do with Airtime is schedule Live events. As far as I can see, if an item is added to the schedule and 'record' is ticked then this is assumed to be a live event and the incoming audio (via the soundcard) is recorded?

Would it be possible for live events to be a scheduled option, allowing the user to choose the source (from multiple soundcard inputs) and have Airtime switch to the soundcard source and output it through liquidsoap?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Matt Green <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> **
    > I am new to using Airtime - loving the features so far!
    >
    > One thing I would love to be able to do with Airtime is schedule Live
    > events. As far as I can see, if an item is added to the schedule and
    > 'record' is ticked then this is assumed to be a live event and the incoming
    > audio (via the soundcard) is recorded?
    >
    > Would it be possible for live events to be a scheduled option, allowing the
    > user to choose the source (from multiple soundcard inputs) and have Airtime
    > switch to the soundcard source and output it through liquidsoap?
    >

Airtime doesnt support that functionality at the moment, though it certainly
    is possible. It would require changes to the Airtime code. If you are a
    programmer or know a programmer, we are always willing to help out with
    community-built features. Also feature development can be purchased from
    Sourcefabric.

- Paul

• Thanks for the response Paul.

I am a programmer, not specifically a Python developer, but it should be fairly easy enough to pick up.

I have been looking at the source and config files and it seems fairly do-able like you say.

From what I have seen it looks like the backend could function in a similar way to the record process.

A RabbitMQ 'update schedule' message would be sent from Airtime to a new python process. This would in turn trigger a command to be sent to liquidsoap based on the incoming message.

Liquidsoap would have new functions in the configuration file which would allow the switching of sources, and telnet commands to control it set via 'server.register'.

As for the front end - I haven't really looked at the code yet. I am familiar with PHP so it should be easy enough to adapt the current UI functions.

What are your thoughts?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    A lot of what you are talking about is implemented already in the 2.0
    development branch. The branch is named "devel" if you want to check it out:
    http://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/XwAd

• Ah interesting, thanks! Will get myself set up and take a look.