purge pulseaudio killed microphone
  • Hi folks

The install of Airtime, with the recommendation to purge pulseaudio seems to have purged the capability to record via microphone on the test machine we are using.

Before the install, shows were being recording -using Audacity- on the computer in question. Now no applications will pick up audio from the microphone even though the system appears to recognize that the microphone is attached.

Re-installing pulseaudio did not help, applications cannot pickup audio from the microphone.

Anyone seen that before?
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • While on the topic, exactly why is it recommended to remove pulseaudio? I read in another thread that it "doesn't do anything for us" but it does do something for other user applications, and removing it may have unintended consequences.

• Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    Did you try rebooting or relogin to you desktop after reinstalling
    pulseaudio?

The reasons for removing pulseaudio are 1) pulseaudio is only running while
    you are logged in to your desktop, so sound would stop when you log out, and
    2) while it is possible to run pulseaudio in "system-mode" (not tied to a
    specific user), this would result in any desktop sounds being played over
    your live radio broadcast.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Alan Pater <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> **
    > While on the topic, exactly why is it recommended to remove pulseaudio?
    > I read in another thread that it "doesn't do anything for us" but it does do
    > something for other user applications, and removing it may have unintended
    > consequences.
    >
    >
    >

• Yup, multiple reboots were tried. And the obvious checked, the mic was not simply mutted.

It is working now, after much fiddling with alsa config files and mixers and reboots.

I'm going to prepare a fresh custom install without pulseaudio for the production system. Hopefully that will avoid any issues ...