Please tell us about how you use Booktype
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi all,

If you're using Booktype and have published a book with it, please leave a comment with a few details. We'd like to collect some more examples for our page https://booktype.pro/en/booktype/whosusing/

Thanks!

Daniel
    Post edited by Daniel James at 2018-04-25 05:25:53
  • 17 Comments sorted by
  • We just started to write a scientific monograph! We have no clue whether this is the right choice as we need to figure out still how to do the bibliography management. We tried our own install here at the University of Helsinki, but couldn't get it working (on CentOS). Since we plan only one book, we went to Omnibook.pro

Cheers,
    Michael
    http://lab.jeltsch.org
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Michael,

This sounds like a great project! You may find the Insert Endnote feature, on the Insert menu of the editor, useful for your bibliographical references.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • I intend to use it for personal use only. I have a few RPG booklets in foreign language and I wanna translate them to use on my tables. Booktype is cool because my fellows can help me writing, reviewing and suggesting. It would be better if had a way to load my two books side by side (autoscroll), the book being translated and original, for reference, but having two windows open do the service.

Thanks for this state of art software.
    Hi Willian,

We have considered a side by side mode for translators. Currently, most of our users export and translate the source document before uploading the new translation to Booktype, then use the History features to check for new updates to the source document.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Trying OmniBook for a student collaborative project, but want custom install on University server. 

I am failing to get this working on OSX server. Have followed instructions for 2.1

Any advice would be most welcome.
  • I would like to use this for personal use but having a hard time getting it working on Debian with PHP7.  My last attempt blew away a working Booktype instance !  {Update: Just noticed that there is a php path setting so I will play with side by side php versions }  

That said:

One of the things I was looking for though was collaborative type comments - I guess you would call this in-paragraph comments or inline edit comments.  I noticed that there are notes you can make  but they seem to be global versus specific to any text.  These seems like a major oversight to me if that's the case.  I would think reviewers should be able to comment inline.  

I will wait for an updated install guide for Debian 8 with PHP7 or Debian 9 (preferably).

I appreciate the work you have done and wish you good fortune moving forward.

Note:

Searching for Booktype Install etc. is horrendous as there are multiple old and out of date versions indexed by google.  Top entry is 5 years old!  It's really a huge turnoff for new users when finding instructions are so difficult.  Github is a decent source pointing to 2.3 but even there is a link to Digital Ocean which is not maintained and is out of date.
    Post edited by Juanny Cinco at 2018-04-24 22:14:14
    Hi Juanny, thanks for the feedback! We will be updating the official install guide for Debian 9, and are taking down links to the older instructions where we can. The DigitalOcean tutorial is now out of date, and so that link will be taken down too.

In future, technical docs (including installation) will be at docs/ in the git source and rendered at http://booktype.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

The user manual will be aimed at less technical users in future.

In the meantime, please post your installation problems in the support forum and we'll try to help.

As for the inline comments, that feature is in the lower tab on the right side of the editor. Please see the attached screenshots.

Cheers!

Daniel
    1437 x 1032 - 131K
    1437 x 1032 - 148K
  • Thanks for pointing out the inline edits - not sure why I never saw it.  I now think that my old install was blown up because of some apache directives that got inadvertently updated by another install.

I will give it another go this week and let you know how it goes on Deb9 (I tend to do the manual installs so I can follow what's happening).  I just installed Pressbooks for comparison..so I'll look at them side by side.

Thanks!
    J.
    Hi Juanny, we would love to hear how that goes!

Pressbooks has some support for mPDF: https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/pressbooks-mpdf/

We are happy to share our experiences of using mPDF with any Pressbooks user. mPDF is a very capable renderer for many book languages, if a little slow on long, complex books, as long as you don't mind the lack of widows and orphans detection.

For a developer, the choice of platforms might depend on whether they prefer to work in WordPress/PHP or Django/Python.
    Hi Juanny,

I have updated the installation instructions for Debian (stretch):

http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/booktype-23-for-authors-and-publishers/manual-installation-on-gnulinux/

The procedure is pretty much the same as for Debian 8, but there have been some changes to profile names in Booktype since the instructions were last updated.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Finally got a Debian 9 server running and followed the instructions.  I'm having some problems with Pandoc and PDF export but I need to figure that out.  XHTML and EPUB work fine.  It seems that I have to sort out the default Pandoc export path (I changed it in base.py) but no dice.  I also changed the export to ['127.0.0.1','*'] which seemed to fix something.

Installation was pretty smooth otherwise.  I must have been using an old version before as it's definitely more responsive.  I don't know how I could have missed inline comments before.  

I will be setting up some backup options to make sure I don't lose things and will carry on.  It looks like a pretty solid app though.  
    Post edited by Juanny Cinco at 2018-07-31 01:56:26
    Hi Juanny,

Good to hear you got the install completed. If you are sure that your path to pandoc in the active settings file now matches your pandoc installation, it may be that you need to restart celery or WSGI with:
    sudo supervisorctl restart all
    sudo service apache2 reload

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Cheers!

Daniel

You're on the ball here :)

1. Need to make sure I install "zip" 
    2. Rejigged the mpdf install folder 

Only remaining issue is that the Control Panel gets an Internal 500 but I can create books/users so I'm not too worried.  
    Thanks for the help.
  • Hi all,

If you're using Booktype and have published a book with it, please leave a comment with a few details. We'd like to collect some more examples for our page https://booktype.pro/en/booktype/whosusing/

Thanks!

Daniel

That's a great way of interaction.
  • Good efforts. Thanks for your opinion.
  • hello my name is mohit verma mybk-experience.onl mc-d.uno
    Post edited by Mohit Verma at 2021-01-20 01:39:55
  • I am failing to get this working on OSX server. Have followed instructions for 2.1 net banking

Regards, teatv

Post edited by shubharora734 at 2021-02-20 05:00:22