Feature requests
  • Hi there - 

I recently discovered Airtime after a year and a half of scripting liquidsoap by myself to get it to (sort of) do what I wanted. I'm really impressed with what's been done with this software so far, and I've already implemented it into our station's workflow for pre-recorded shows. That said, Airtime is still a young project, and there's a healthy list of things that it either doesn't do, or doesn't do well. What would be the best way to submit a list of feature requests? Should I do it here in the forum, or is there a better way?

Also - as a developer, I'd love to work on extending Airtime to get it to do what I want since I understand that the development team may not have the same priorities or preferences as I do. I looked around but was not able to locate any clear instructions on the best way to go about downloading the source, forking, and then eventually re-submitting the changes I've made. If somone could point me in the right direction on that I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the great work.
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Hey this should be the wiki page with instructions on forking.

You could put some feature requests in here on the forums, then it will be more noticeable for other user's feedback,

I think another way (maybe the better way) is to create a ticket here

I'd like to know what features you'd like to see/improve!
    Post edited by Naomi at 2012-02-01 10:13:15
  • Thanks for the info on forking - I saw that page, just missed the bit at the bottom.

As far as the feature requests, I'll take some time later to look through the items listed in the roadmap on the dev page you linked to, but here's the short list (for now):

• aac/m4a support
    • music library organization (folders and smart playlists and such)
    • Incoming live streams - preferably with the ability to fallback to a playlist in case of stream dropout
    • Recording of live streams (archiving) - with options for scheduled rebroadcast, upload of archives to a remote site via SFTP/FTP, and selectable bitrate for archive recording (we broadcast at 96k, but would prefer to record incoming live streams at 192k or better)
    • Granularity of soundcloud updates - being able to select on a show by sow basis
    • flexible shuffle/autodj/fallback - keyed off of metadata with ability to periodically insert station IDs, bumpers, advertising, etc.
    • advanced playlist metadata
    • full play counts - station logs - and the ability for live remote shows (or pre-recorded extended mixes) to submit detailed play logs for sets. (Required for royalty reporting in U.S.)
    I could write a paragraph or two on each of these points, but this is a start.

• Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback. I think a lot of our priorities do intersect, we are planning on smart playlists + rebraodcasting incoming streams + recording live streams in the future.

Here is our roadmap for Airtime 2.1

Of course any contributions are welcome!
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • I know this has been covered in various forms but here's another couple requests -

• AutoDJ function when there's no scheduled event. AutoDJ can be genre set by time of day.
    • Allow a scheduled playlist to pick up another stream.

• Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I'm really happy to see stream integration into the 2.1

but I hope to see a scheduled stream rebroadcasting soon too ;)
  • Been doing some training, playing and process flow stuff today. 

Here's a feature request from one of our team members (I actually like this one so I'm passing it on! Usually this guy is a pain in the rump and has silly ideas!).

Make it possible for a user to upload his show tracks *and* a .pls file into his watched directory and have it picked up. The he/she just needs to go to the calendar and schedule it.

Brain dead simple, not sure about on your end though...
  • Build in a "podcatcher" function?

I'm looking at hpodder which is a CLI podcatcher, but something integrated into Airtime would be great.

(or can someone suggest a browser based podcatcher we could install on the Airtime server?)
    Post edited by Rick Munday at 2012-04-09 16:11:25
  • Hey Rick,

This is actually something we are seriously discussing right now. It won't be ready for 2.1 however. 
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • :-D
  • If you are using Icecast2 as your target, a little bit of scripting will get you an archived audio file that contains a single live show and is auto updated every time a show ends.

I have added the following to my live broadcast mount in icecast.xml:
    <dump-file>/media/airtime/live/live-save.mp3</dump-file>
    <on-disconnect>/media/airtime/source-end.sh</on-disconnect>

The attached source-end.sh.bak file does the following:
    (Search for <* to find bits that need editing for your setup )
    1. Gets the Current Date and Time (D/M/Y_H-M-S) to rename the dump file
    2. Gets the Current Year (For Copyright)
    3. Moves the dump file to my watched airtime folder for live shows and renames it with the date/time.
    4. Adds ID3 Tags to the file for Airtime to read and includes Creative Commons information.
    5. Calculates the SHA1 sum for the licensing page
    6. Adds my Creative Commons information to my license.html page (blank also attached)
    It does require the id3v2 program to add the tags, but this setup works pretty well for me at the moment.
    If my source drops out mid stream then I end up with two (or more) files each named with the date and time they ended.
  • Hi - like the idea of dumping the live feed to a file, would be good to have this since I'm running off a server which of course doesn't have a sound card...

But I tried to add the <dump-file> to say the showmount and it just cut off all streaming dead. Anyone have an example icecast.xml on how to do this? 

Especially the poster above with the example that creates a webpage - this is pretty much what I want for DJs that are streaming live to be able to automatically record their shows - ideally as a special mount, but if it's all live shows that would be OK, just need to watch that folder or script something to copy the files elsewhere then remove them.

And +1 on this being in the next version of Airtime.

Tim
    Post edited by Tim RadioClash at 2013-03-01 20:25:06
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    +1
    sounds nice!
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.