Hey! 500$ for Airtime module (plugin) for DTMF control
  • So that's a request from Russian-speaking forum to the community from @merc! (mercclear@gmail.com)
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/14853/nuzhen-modulplagin-upravleniya-po-dtmf

@to Airtime-developers: this feature can highly increase the interest of huuuge Russia to Airtime! We'll add this to the Bug Tracker too. :)

Post edited by Micz Flor at 2012-12-04 06:54:46
  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up2Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    I guess the guy means a control over the phone.
    There are two options:
    1. land line modem + linmodem driver
    3. sip account + asterisk/freeswitch

The main problem is that airtime doesn't have an official api for plugins to extend existing functionality

• Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Hi,

I don't understand the usability of this plugin
    can you explain the interest ?

dtmf is for phone call, no ?
  • No Andrey, I did not mean over phone control )))). Most people who engaged in broadcasting knows that dtmf is used to automatically switch from one program to another. It widely used by network broadcasters (companies,who send their radio programs to satelite).  Imagine that airtime gets an input stream from the studio, and dtmf code automatically runs the file with the weather forecast, or advertising. Or imaging  airtime gets input stream after satellite reciever and transfer it to output. This is called retransmission. If incoming stream contain different dtmf codes to start/stop playlists, airtime could start local playlist. If you ever heard in most russian towns any federal fm radio, you could hear local news on it or forecast, or local program, and most of them were issued to air by dtmf.... 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    aha, ok, in this case dtmf could be recognized from audio line-in signal by multimon
    but as I mentioned there is a problem with inexistent plugin api. In this case any additional functionality should be implemented inside core that could be incompatible in future releases due to hardcoded functionality overriding

ok, but if my memory is good ;-)
    an api system is in the todo list of airtime isn't it ?
    perhaps in a future version 2.4 or 2.5 :D

another thing useful will be a multi streaming possibility (send 2 or more streams played at the same time)
    LiquidSoap can do that, but interface it with Airtime is another story ...
  • To  Andrey.
    Thouthands broadcasters already uses software with dtmf detector, if dtmf control will be implemented into Airtime, this feature could significantly move ahead this open source progect from the point of view of practical use it in business. 

To Albert FR. 
    Do you mean 2 or more separate playlists play and send to 2 or more separate stream? 
  • DTMF audible signals are also used by broadcasters for proof-of-broadcast purposes, especially because they can be used in connection with a time stamp.

This is a very useful feature; the only question is how it can be best implemented. As Albert FR and Andrey have pointed out, we are planning a proper set of APIs which will enable plugins like this, but it will require a fair amount of work (and time) to get that ready.

But in the meantime, we can continue discussions on architecture and design (possibly doing this directly on the Liquidsoap level)?

Doug
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
    Reply to @merc:nope

broadcast on the same stream (in output) two or more streaming sources (in input)
  • Hi Doug.

It seems to me that one of the way to implement to Airtime dtmf control is special type of playlist - retransmition. When you coose it, Airtime get specified stream or input and send it to specified output or stream, waiting for dtmf detector signal. When dtmf detector say "true" airtime makes fade to input stream and run playlist from file. DTMFdetecor could be a separate routine combined with liquidsoap by linux pipes. Something like this.

Vlad.
    Post edited by merc at 2012-12-05 09:45:20
  • Albert FR said:

Reply to @merc:nope

broadcast on the same stream (in output) two or more streaming sources (in input)

There you get a sort of mix of the input sources or streams?
    yes
    you can do that with liquidsoap

• Reply to @Albert+FR:

Then you can mix for examle voice with music for background and your DJ don't need Audacity for that purpuse or any other software, am I right?

that's not what I say :-)
    but you can effectively send one stream with music and another with only your voice :-)