[campcaster-support] Questions from a new user
  • Hi,

I'm the IT person at a campus / community FM radio station and currently evaluating Campcaster for potential use at the station. So far it looks like Campcaster has a lot of the features which we'd need, but there are a few features that I'd like to know if they are already in the software and I just have overlooked them, or if there would be a way to easily add them.

1. Does Campcaster keep an ongoing text log of all the audio tracks that have been played, along with the time / date they were played? Or would this be something that I'd need to look at adding?

The reason I'm asking is for legal requirements where we broadcast, we are required to keep a text log of all music that we play on air - consisting of the artist / band name, the song name (or track title), the number on our internal "currents" list (needed for tracking), items like that. We don't really need the specific date / time of each track (currently we go with ranges - from 1 - 2 pm and list all the tracks). If Campcaster could keep this log for us (tracking both the "live" mode and the "scheduled" mode), this would greatly help, as we wouldn't have to keep this up to date manually on a separate system.

2. I know the Playlist feature will tell you the length a playlist will play for, but when using the Live mode, is there any way to see how long the list of music is? I'd love to have a timer that "counts down", showing you how much music is left in the live mode list before it runs out of stuff to play. That way if you dump 5 or 6 (or however many) tracks into the live mode to play, you'll know how long you have before having to go back on air.

3. If you add a playlist to be played in Live mode, is there any way in the "live mode" window to "expland" that list, so you can see the names of all the tracks that it includes (this would be very useful in the event of putting together a block of advertising that all has to run together, so the DJ can see exactly which ads are being played and then mark them as played on the log sheet that we maintain)

4. Where can I find (or where can I find the instructions on how to set up) the network hub stuff? I've installed the package on Ubuntu 7.10 using the Synaptic Package Manager. I can see how I can transfer things to the network hub. But if I had another station that wanted to access my content that I'd uploaded to "my" network hub, how would I set that up so they'd be directed to my server address and get that content?

Thanks!

Lorne Tyndale