server specs for a Superdesk installation
  • Dear list, 

I'm evaluating Superdesk for the following installation: 150 users maximum working at any time, 3,000 unique text news items daily, video files associated with most items. 

I'd like to keep things simple, so start with 1 server (at least 8cpu, 16G memory) to serve all Superdesk services and another one as a backup for mongodb. 

Do you think this is a sane setup? Or should I explore scaling on different levels? What could go wrong with the above scenario and how could I prevent it? 

Thanks a lot for any reply, 
    Markos
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    Superdesk  instance requires around 3-5 GB RAM. You need to check RAM requirements for Elasticsearch and MongoDB as well. 

• Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Adding more memory is easy, this could be increased to something bigger (eg 32GB). But is it normal for Superdesk installations of that traffic to be served in one server? (taking under consideration other cases I've seen, I would consider it as a medium installation)

Thanks and regards
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    traffic is not an issue - Superdesk is not a public site. Re number of servers for mongodb, elasticsearch - see recommendations for these services on product sites