Response to Hangout 5
  • Hi,

I haven't been around for awhile so I totally missed the hangout, but I appreciate the video and I wanted to make a few comments.

There was mention of the Calendar and the idea that it could be a much more powerful tool or hub for info about shows, programmers, training, etc. I totally agree with this. I think the calendar is THE HEART of any radio station. I would like to see more focus in this area. For example, I need to train all programmers on the use of Airtime. The calendar can tell me who is trained and who needs to be.

I was happy to hear that Mixcloud integration is being worked on. My thoughts about Soundcloud vs Mixcloud echo the comments made. Mixcloud is much more appropriate for radio.

Also happy that bulk tagging is in the works.

Metadata for station ids and the like. How will this be implemented? Currently I use the genre field to tag StationID, Ad, PSA, etc. One thing to think about is that in Canada (and I assume in other countries), there are effectively minimum legal tagging requirements in that each station must track certain tags. With respect to helping us meet our legal requirements, please read this guide:

http://www.ncra.ca/compliance/NCRA-Regulatory-Guide-EN-Complete.pdf

Thanks!
    Nat
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert SantoniAlbert Santoni
    Hey Nat,

Thanks for watching the hangout and for the feedback! 

Re: Metadata for station IDs - I assume we'd just allow you to tag these yourself as "station ID", etc. 
    For dealing with other types of tags like CRTC subcategories, we're not quite sure yet. I proposed that would we leave that up to you (ie. you'd tag tracks with "subcategory-34-jazz-and-blues") and then show the list of tags in the play history. We're not sure what the best approach would be though, maybe you have some other ideas. We're totally open for suggestions!

Thanks again!
    Albert
    Airtime Developer @ Sourcefabric
  • I suppose you could have a "category" tag field. For example I would put "Jazz" in the genre tag and "34" in the category tag. The other extra ones relevant to Canadian broadcasters are: Instrumental (yes/no) and Canadian (yes/no). You could implement the latter by a CountryOfOrigin tag. Users from other countries may not use these fields, which shouldn't be a problem if there are not too many. Otherwise, you allow the user to customize the tags, if that's possible.

The report at the end should probably be standardized for each country's regulations. For example, the CRTC music log is the same format for everyone. Having this as a preset report could make things easier.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • What Nat is talking about is excellent and is essential to the way we do radio as well. Could there also be a Language tag? We broadcast in 5 different languages and would make it easier to search music by language.

I believe another very important feature for FM is the ability to interrupt whatever is playing, i.e. pause, stop, fade to next item, etc.

Thanks guys, you are doing awesome work!
  • @Co Ry

There is already a tag for Language :)

Can you elaborate on "interupts"? It sounds like you are talking about a live play situation? If so, then I share that request. For most of our schedule, we do live shows, where we play music from a variety of sources. It would be nice to be able to quickly add things to a playlist in Airtime and trigger that to play instantly. Currently you can schedule a playlist to start at a specific time or you can start instantly by dragging into the Now Playing list. It's cumbersome to build and then start a playlist on the fly.

It would be very useful to make a playlist on the fly from the Now Playing tab. I don't need a named playlist even. Most times I want to throw together a few spots, get them ready in a playlist, and then at the appropriate time just trigger the list. Something like MIXXX is overkill for this, and then you have a different interface to the library.

I suppose another way to do it is to create a playlist in the library, then preview it on another computer that's connected to the mixing board.
    @I
    believe another very important feature for FM is the ability to
    interrupt whatever is playing, i.e. pause, stop, fade to next item, etc.
    - See more at:
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/27519#Comment_27519
    www.soundfm.ca
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Co Ry said:

What Nat is talking about is excellent and is essential to the way we do radio as well. Could there also be a Language tag? We broadcast in 5 different languages and would make it easier to search music by language.

You can create almost as many metadata-fields named with almost any name you wish. At least this goes for ID3v2.4. Tag your mp3s with exfalso or mp3tag.de or foobar2000 or whatever...
    No matter which metadata your mp3-file contains, Airtime will import them to db.
    We use a lost of custom metadata-fields like Source, Mood, BPM, Gender, Language, Priority, Expiry Date,...
    You can be almost as creative as you like.
    cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Hey,

Are you saying that the set of tags in Airtime changes or adapts to the file you import?

Is meta-data written to the mp3 file when you update it in Airtime?

Thanks
    www.soundfm.ca
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Hey,

Are you saying that the set of tags in Airtime changes or adapts to the file you import?

yes, existing tags are written to file and file is re-imported afterwards.
    so be gentle with changing tags of already scheduled tracks.
    I don't know what happens, but you could try it.
    cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Aitime adds a tag that holds the replay gain figure
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I can't get the language tag to register in Airtime.
    The file is ID3v2.4 tagged eng in the language field.
    Am i missing something?
    Anyone got this to work?
  • Hi do you mean edit the file metadate?

Explain what you are trying to do and I will see if I have the same issue
    I am very new to this but have a test server I am playing with.

Regards Ron