Random songs on silence with fade-effect
  • Hi,

I've found the following entry in the FAQ: https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CC/Playing+Random+Songs+on+Silence
    I think this feature is awesome, but it lacks a clean transition between songs.. is there a way to add a fade in/out effect between songs?
  • 18 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I'm doing this ;)
    but it's a hack ;)

drops = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/drops/")
    music = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/music/")
    jingles = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/jingles/")
    default = rotate(weights=[1,3,1,3], [jingles, music,drops,music])

def crossfade(s)
      #duration is automatically overwritten by metadata fields passed in
      #with audio
      s = fade.in(type="log", duration=0., s)
      s = fade.out(type="log", duration=0., s)
      fader = fun (a,b) -> add(normalize=false,[b,a])
      cross(fader,s)
    end

don't forget to comment this two lines :

#default = amplify(0.00001, noise())
    #default = rewrite_metadata([("artist","Airtime"), ("title", "offline")],default)

• I love the idea of this! 

And I appreciate the code offered as a work around, but please ensure that the code is somehow logged in for the developers to find in the future.

I won't personally hack code into my system (since it makes future troubleshooting a nightmare) but these are all features we need, so we'll work it out manually in playlists and wait for it to be integrated into the system.

• Hi,

Here is a link to the manual on playlist-builder. There is a section explaining about fade in/out.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/airtime/playlist-builder/
  • Thanks for your reply, but I know how it's done through the GUI, but can the same effect be archived using code? Also, it seems like the metadata is not shown when playing songs this way...
  • Hi,

The method posted in that forum wiki is a quick hack that the Airtime Web UI does not know about. The Fade options in the GUI will not work. We will have an officially supported random song feature (with fading) scheduled for the future.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks a lot for your comment Albert!
    Just wondering... what does all the shares mean (jingles, music,drops). I only have one share I grab my music from, can I remove all but the one called "music" or how does that part work? Trying it now. :)
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    :D

I've made some features ;)

I'm trying to explain
    I hope the directories names are easy to understand ;)

on this line :
    default = rotate(weights=[1,3,1,3], [jingles, music,drops,music])

I've made a little rotate between all this directories :

- 1jingle
    - 3 songs from music directory
    - 1 drop
    - 3 songs again

and the system rotate ;)

• @Albert:

You are awesome, thanks! :D
    I've updated the FAQ, hopefully it will be useful for other users: https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CC/Playing+Random+Songs+on+Silence

Airtime has one of the best documentations I've ever seen, credits to the developers, you are doing an amazing job! :)
    thanks for the credits ;)

but crossfade is another part of your question ;)

• Post edited by A.ZUDJEL at 2012-02-26 11:18:09
  • Hi,
    Do you think it's possible to play a folder according to a specific time ?

Like  ' 'default = rotate(weights=[1,3,1,3], [jingles, musicA,musicB,drops,musicA,musicB])

with "musicB" played between 2AM and 5AM and "musicA" anytime ?

/////// Idea number 2 :
    I'm really new on python and programmation, but I understood it was possible to use python to ask the ftp to change the name of a folder (ftplib?).
    I was thinking about this case :

Two folders :
    01 with songs to be played from 1AM to 1PM
    02 with songs to be played from 1PM to 1AM

The program change the name of the folder according to time with the name "OnAir"

Let's imagine our classic "default = rotate(weights=[1,3], [jingles, OnAir,]) "
    The program will read files from the OnAir folder. In reality OnAir is the folder 01 or 02 according to time.

Any idea ? Is it possible or too crazy ?
    Thanks
    not exactly
    but you can try this :

day=playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/airtime/day/")

night=playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/airtime/night/")
    default=fallback([ request.queue(id="request"),
    switch([({ 6h-22h }, day),
    ({ 22h-6h }, night)])])

I've don't tested it before write it here ;)
    try it, and tell us ;)

don't forget to comment this two lines :

#default = rewrite_metadata([("artist","Airtime"), ("title", "offline")],default)

• Thanks !!
    I'll try it this week and tell you about ;-))
    I'm really agree with you
    but the reality is never as we hope too :(
    and if i want to use airtime, i'm needing to do some hacks
    anyway i hope the developpers can be inspired by our works
  • Hey,
    Yes, hope they'll catch all those new possibilities !

I tried your hack but it didn't work. After restarting airtime, the player displayed a "loading error".

To be sure I didn't write an error, here the code I wrote :

01=playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/home/radiogmt/music/01/")
    02=playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/home/radiogmt/music/02/")
    03=playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/home/radiogmt/music/03/")

switch([({ 6h-12h }, 01),
                                ({ 12h-21h }, 02),
                                ({ 23h-6h }, 03)])])

I also tried with two folders "day" and "night" as the one you gave but it didn't work too.
    I pasted this code instead of those corresponding lines :

first : call your playlist with names not 01, 02 or 03
    second : I haven't tested that for the moment (i'm too busy) but perhaps add ,default a the end :

switch([({ 6h-12h }, morning),

({ 12h-21h }, afternoon),

({ 23h-6h }, night)])], default)

after testing, the good thing to do :

morning= playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/home/airtime/Musique/")
    night= playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/airtime/stor/imported/")

default=fallback([ request.queue(id="request"),switch([({ 6h-18h }, morning),({ 18h-6h }, night)])])

directories are here for example ;
    more fun :

drops = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/drops-day/")

music = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/music-day/")

jingles = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/jingles-day/")

morning = rotate(weights=[1,3,1,3], [jingles, music,drops,music])

drops2 = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/drops-night/")

music2 = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/music-night/")

jingles2 = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="rounds", "/srv/users/jingles-night/")

night = rotate(weights=[1,3,1,3], [jingles2, music2,drops2,music2])

default=fallback([ request.queue(id="request"),switch([({ 6h-18h }, morning),({ 18h-6h }, night)])])

:D
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2012-03-05 05:51:39