Installing on a debian box
  • Hello

While doing some research for a newspaper solution I came across Campsite by mere chance. After a short run at the demo site of Campsite, I wish people and solution reviewers knew better about this tool. Congratulations guys! You've done a terrific work with this baby.
    I just downloaded the sources and I'm trying to get Campsite running, for testing purposes, on my local testing machine, which is an exact replica of my freshly new hosted production server:
    Debian Sarge (running on 2.4.27 kernel),
    Apache 2, PHP/4.3.10-18, MySQL 4.1.11
    I followed the instructions of the manual and I think my environment is pretty much ready to welcome Campsite. All debian dependencies are installed and all php.ini modifications are done. I said "pretty much ready" as there must be something wrong with my config since I'm stuck with warning errors when running ./install.sh
    To be more accurate I have 2 issues:
    1. WARNING!!! The apache user 'apache' is not valid; valid apache user is 'www-data'
    2. Installing CAMPSITE 2.6.6 "Joey" Checking install dependencies...PHP MySQL extension was not installed. Please install it.

I know both of them are not Campsite specific so please bear with me and help me go through the install process. As you have already figured out, I'm new to the *nix world but eager to learn. So where do I start configuring that www-data user?
    As for the PHP MySQL extensions I don't see where the error is coming from. MySQL server is up and running, and mysql extensions in php.ini are uncommented as indicated in the manual.
    If you need other details about my deb box please drop a line.

Thanks in advance
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • UPDATES:
    I just gave it a go to the install on a second linux box running Etch PHP5/MySQL5. This time all the installation steps were completed fully and nicely Smile Since there's the possibility to modify the install configuration the issue no1 that I mentioned above gets solved very easily. As for the issue no2 I think that was the reason blocking the rest. Maybe it's due to the MySQLi extension not present in my first deb box running php/mysql 4 since I had no issues with etch running php/mysql5 (MySQLi included by defalut).
    Anyway for the rest it was a very forward install procedure even for a linux newbie. It will be a peace of cake with html browser install, planned for the next versions.
    However I'm not yet done and I need your guidance to complete the configuration and get the site fully runing:
    -When I try to restart apache I get an error message telling me VirtualHost *:80 --mixing * ports and non -* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
    -In both of my boxes I have by default the www root path set to /var/www where all my webdev playground is located. The campsite install config has by default /usr/local/campsite/... During the install should I change the WWW_DIR and WWW_COMMON_DIR to /var/www and make the install to these dirs?
    I'm just trying to figure out where should I point the install and what files needs reediting afterwards.

I'm very excited to fully test out Campsite so any quick input will be GREATLY appreciated
    Thx